Changing from Vinyl to Digital in Brave New World

This is bound to provoke some reactions, and I purposely posted in the analog forum since the digital forum is probably preaching to the converted.
(Maybe I don't want to make the change but enough self-analysis). I've owned and played vinyl since the mid-60's and have had numerous good to great rigs over the years, currently running something that is state of the art, big Kuzma table/Lamms/Avantgarde horns. I still have an old pair of Quad 57's which need restoration and a pair of Crosby Quads that haven't seen a charge since I bought the Avantgardes. And, anywhere from 6-8 thousand records.
Here's the question. I retired recently, and am planning to move (to Austin) where I will continue to work at what I love (ahem, it's music business, but that doesn't have anything to do with quality reproduction, I'm sorry to say).
Chances are, I will go from a big dedicated room to having virtually no space, and while I could store all this equipment and records, I'm just not sure it makes sense. (No this is not a subliminal ad for my record collection, not yet, anyway).
So, I'm struggling here with what to do, systemwise. Let's assume that I want small, in the sense of not taking up physical space, and I don't have room for all the vinyl, so I have to go 'digital.' And, to make it really challenging, I'm not going to do a complex system- maybe a very good pair of stereo speakers that don't take up much room, a good integrated (I've been using tubes since the early 70's but if I'm willing to go this far, wouldn't rule out something solid state) and a digital source- everything I've read seems to suggest that good digital sources are in a state of flux, and the standards for hi rez digital files are not fully settled. So I guess the main import of the question has to do with sources other than vinyl- i never really liked CDs for the home but could cope with computer audio if I don't have to spend my time reformatting files. Lastly, I could (and still plan) to refurbish the old Quads at some point, just because they are so iconic and could run them with the ML 2 Lamms, some OTLs or something less esoteric (Atmasphere 60's). But would be interested in views, from the analog crowd. (Let's not use this as a dump on digital thing since that won't help me sort out my thoughts).
TIA.

Bill hart
128x128whart
CDs are getting as vintage as vinyls. What's the point of switching to digital when you can get HDD or SSD based computer or network player system with top line modern DAC that would get you much closer to analog than conventional CD/SACD player?
Peterayer: I think you nailed it- a turntable with fewer demands of space, time and energy, and killer smaller speakers. The contrarian in me, after so many years of basic amp-preamp (currently add the third box, phono stage) loves the idea of an integrated. On the digital side, I'm way more intererested in non-CD digital audio, and maybe as you suggested, I could experiment. It is obviously the next wave and while i've never been a computer hobbyist, it might be fun if tied to music. As Rtilden pointed out, there is the temptation to get all crazy on that front, and be in the same place, with expensive black boxes.
Part of this is also motivated by ease of use. I hate to admit it, but the notion of warming up the tube amps, warming up the cartridge, etc. is always an obstacle to just playing music. And, if I don't buy or rent a space with a dedicated room, I'll have the system in my living space, which raises additional issues (ahem, two cats, ahem).
As to space saving, the current pile of vinyl takes up a good amount of space. I just computed, very back of the napkin, using 100 discs per linear foot, and actually probably have 10,000 records, maybe more. The frightening thing (maybe this thread should be relabelled -confessions of a vinyl junkie) is that I have never organized them. Oh, yeah, when i find yet another copy of Way Out West, or the umpteenth copy of Rickie Lee Jones' first album, I put it with the others. How many pressings of Tea for the Tillerman should one person own (especially when the UHQR boxed set that cost stupid money, even when i bought it at the time it came out) sounds far less lively than the island pink label that I bought off the street in Greenwich Village for a buck?
Thank you for helping me think this through.
So, should I start another thread on serious, trouble free turntables? (SME sounds terrific; I had the Kuzma Reference before the XL with a Triplanar and it was also set and forget, no isolation issues; any others that are of this ilk?)
And integrated amps (I love the Dartzeel concept, even the fact that it measured lousy per that Stereophile review; Burmeister? Boulder? I don't need one with a phono stage if I keep the Manley Steelhead, but here we go again with boxes).
And, monitors: I want to hear the Magico V3 which seems like a lot of bang for the buck, used; I have never really warmed up to Wilson speakers. Any other relatively small killer monitor style speaker that is a must listen to and would enjoy a relationship with a SS, rather than tube amp?
Man, this feels like a sex change. But fun. :) Thanks everybody.
I would keep your LPs until you are very sure you like your new digital system. I did the same thing, and ultimately went back to LPs. I am glad I only sold off a few in the process (which I had to pay alot of money to replace).
this post brings up an interesting point. Just how much space does a typical classic rock album take up on a hard disk? I am thinking about adding a hard disk based front end to my system and will probably start with a TB size portable hard disk drive.