Makeshift tonearm for under $800

I am currently using a SME 3012 S2 with my Verdier. While it is a recommended combination by JC Verdier himself, I find the combo a bit too "dark" for my tastes. Speaking to some of the other Verdier owners it was confirmed that SME-Verdier is a smooth performer but lacks excitement.

Individually I like both of them a lot, very musical equipments indeed, but I am looking for some more life and excitement in the music. So I have decided to sell the SME tonearm.

I want to some serious research before finalizing my next tonearm. In the mean time I need a makeshift arrangement, a relatively low cost tonearm. I may use it as my second tonearm or may sell it once I have decided my next tonearm upgrade.

Even though a makeshift I would still like to have a tonearm which is quick and lively with natural tones. Preferably a medium mass tonearm which can take most modern cartridges. Budget is about $800.
The options are:

1. Jelco SA-750D/E
2. Rega RB-700 (with upgraded Cardas tonearm cable)
3. Scheu Classic (unipivot)

I would request, please add some reasoning around your recommendation so that I can get some idea about each tonearms capabilities.
pani
Add to them the Audioquest PT9.
Problem is : All very veiled & dark sounding!
The power of Mosin's TT is such that even my finger on his armboard can sound good too.
About taking your money back when you want to upgrade, I agree, but I would never advise about buying a VPI TT either, even if it carries this same advantage also. What people buys is not allways good stuff. Perhaps a good investment has little in common with our hobby.
If you want to bring some life in your set-up thing about replacing the Zyx RS30 at least with a VDH gold LW (priced at $1175 here).
Hi Geoch, Well if one wants to use the expression 'investment'
for our objects of desire you are wrong. I invested in shares and
'some' carts, tonearms, TT's , etc. and lost 50% on shares and made 50% profit on
my carts. According to Lew by selling some of those I can
even afford Netrebko (aka Anna). But beforhand and based
on my own experience this outcome should be the other way
round. That's why people invented the expression 'one can
never know'. Looking from this perspective our hobby may
be even called 'rational'.
You are so right my friend. I'm still schoked with the amount of money I've take when I've had sold a remaining stock of rare tubes, FM tuners and accessories like Stillpoints, Aktyna, Rollerblocks, ART, Boston etc. Who can imagine that.
But it seems impossible to take the third! of the price that I've paid for my Pluto 9A Prestige tonearm(4000euro) or even the seventh!!! (aka 4K euro) for my Symphonic Line RG6 TT.
But rationalistic I'm only with my advices and never to my self in this life in which the passion has the motive power.
Thank you for remind me this.
Dear Goch, I am not sure about Symphonic line but you should start a new thread with the title: 'Pluto 9A the best tonearm ever?' BTW according to me Pluto is more familiar in Saudi Arabia and similar countries than in the West. No idea if ebay exist there nor why should such a kind of market at all exist there. But you can try of course.

Regards,
Actually this "makeshift" thing was just an impulsive thought, simply because I could not conjure up a valid list of tonearms which I would truly like to buy as my "main" arm. My requirements are simple but sometimes too much of simplicity is not easy to achieve!!

As stated in another thread, I listen to a lot of oldies classics and many of my records are "old" as in not in good condition. At present I use a SME 3012 S2 and I am surprised that with this arm the sound is very composed, refined and silent even on very worn out records (still clearly sounding worn out). Unfortunately in my part of the world (India) records manufacturing have stopped decades back and I always have to depend on used records to enjoy music of this origin. In most cases the records are not in good condition. That is why many people on our side prefer MM cartridges which have the tendency to suppress garbage and present music with fuller presence.

One excellent thing I love about the SME 3012 is its ability to keep the timbre very accurate. It is very important!! When listening to a 50s melody it really paints a "black and white" picture of the music nearly transforming me into that era. It depicts the vintage-ness of vintage in such a convincing manner that it feels like I am watching a movie of that era in a old world cinema theatre. Now that is not easy, let me tell you! I have played these records on many modern vinyl setups with high end tonearms and cartridges and most of them fail to achieve this realism of presenting the era along with the music tones. I agree they sound clean and resolving but when we talk about melody it is more than just clean dynamic sounds. I would also like to point out that the Denon 103pro which I was using prior to the ZYX was even better in painting this picture than the ZYX. In the end I do feel that, may be because we/I have grown up with those classics I relate to every nuance of them much more closely than I relate to something like Diana Krall/Jennifer Warnes kind of music. These newer age music sound good on many setups and the criteria to appreciate/enjoy these music is mostly dependant on detail and transparency.

This is the reason I am unable to prepare a list of tonearms to consider. I am looking for a tonearm which is lively, resolving, good tracker, can handle new age MCs well and is really tone/timbre neutral. Am I looking for too much ?

If not then please help me at least prepare a list of tonearms under $2k (new or used).

BTW, I have an offer on Origin Live Conqueror and Naim ARO at this point (both used).