LP12 vs Classic III vs. ?? vs.??

I currently have an LP12 with Ekos,Cirkus,Trampoline and Lingo. Also using a Kleos with a Linto. But have developed an itch to trade into a different table. I have some considerations that I would like to narrow down to just one or two. The tables on my short list are:
VPI Classic II
ClearAudio Ovation
Rega P9
Avid Volvere
and if anyone feels they have one to add to my confusion, please chime in. I have asked this question before, but the players onthe field have changed considerably.
My goal it to find a table that will give me some improvement in sound quality, although my LP12 is no slouch. But as you all know there is only one cure for this "itch" to change. So my question is: who has heard booth the LP12 comparabley equipped and also one or two of these tables. What did you like, what didn't you like, what advances or negatives can I expect.
The problem I find in shopping is that even if a dealer has the table you would like to try, without having the same cartridge and supporting equipment, it's still pretty much a blind test.
In case anyone asks my reasons for trading are that I really just want to try a non-suspended table. I may kick myself later, but you never know till you try.
128x128theo
Hi Theo,
I'm one of many who did make the change from LP12 to unsuspended T/T (I chose the Raven One after listening to a fair number of them and getting nowhere). Part of the problem may be that if one is a longstanding LP12 user then the ear becomes conditioned to that presentation. So in my case I ended up, perhaps subconsciously, looking for something "similar but better". Such a requirement is paradoxical because no mass damped unsuspended T/T has any commonality with a Linn at all.

It's worth mentioning that not all the turntables you listed are unsuspended (e.g. the Avid's suspension pods. The Clearaudio probably uses the Air-Ceramic bearing which offers an intrinsic suspension effect - something that's always worried me with the Clearaudio designs because it doesn't constitute a rigid closed loop. That's the old Linn mindset in action! It is something that never gets fully purged. However, this said, I've never heard a bad performance from the Master Ref so it shows that a well-implemented and optimised design can work despite the doubts.)

If it were me I'd consider going higher up the food chain and look at the Acutus but I realise then we are talking serious $$$. Not easy to acquire S/H unless someone fancies a change of colour! (e.g. from chrome to gold!)
I'd argue that the Acutus would probably be much more to your liking as it really does share a generic bond but is far superior.

There may be many satisfied users of these tables out there but overall, I'm not convinced any of these offer a big enough improvement - in terms of musical experience - over what you're already using. If you did choose one of them, I'd be disinclined to dispense with the Ekos unless it turned out to be a poor marriage. Hope this proves helpful.
Kind regards...
Theo, I have heard the LP12, P9 and Avid. Avid Volvere is one of the best TTs I know of for the money. Its upgraded version, the "Sequel" is eerily close to the Acutus sonically and some even prefer it to the Acutus. Rega P9 is good, it sounds different (transparent, clean, a bit CD like) and is in the same league as LP12 at best so it may not be an upgrade per se. Volvere is definitely in a different league!!

And yes if you like UK style of music making (PRAT, jump, boogie) you will not like the VPI :).
Well Tempered Amadeus GTA and Raven 1 would be my recommendation. Both amazing decks at their pricepoints.

As moonglum eloquently says though, if you are hooked on the LP12 presentation then best stick with the LP12.

If you want the LP12 sound but have to have something different then the Phonosophie P3 is another choice.
Pani,I mostly listen to old rock, some blues,jazz and virtually no classical. So does that change the VPI consideration and actually I meant to list the Classic III not the II.
From what Moonglum and Lotus340r are stating that I am gleening that I need to set my sights higher in terms of money? I can't do that in the forseeable future. As mentioned I have an itch to get into a different table, and I realize that I can continue to upgrade the LP12 but I can't see adding another 3-6000 to it. In my mind it is an old table and adding a keel or a khan would surely improve it's sound. But to upgrade the power supply and other things, I just don't see the value or return on my investment. I feel that I have taken this table as far I can without deeper obligation.
Hi Theo,
IMO, no matter what you listen to, there is a style of playback that a seasoned audiophile generally prefers. Since you are coming from a LP12 background I would like to assume you like UK style of music presentation, which is vivid, bouncy, good tone and good dynamics. The Volvere does all this and much more..like soundstage and transparency and a very lifelike presentation. The only other TT that I liked as much was a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace.