The Band: S/T and/or Music from the Big Pink

I have been holding out for nice copies of either of these. I have a later (not new reissue) pressing of Big Pink, and it sounds pretty good, but nothing special. I was advised to steer clear of the CAP Vaults reissues, and my gut tells me to skip the MFSL's. I have also had a hard time finding nice copies of either LP in record shops. Do early presses sound good, or is my pain and suffering all for nothing. Cheers -Don
fjn04
As time goes on, I find myself liking MFBP more than the 2nd myself. Robertson's brown album songs seem a little too contrived and deliberated to me now, unlike when I was younger. But it was the ensemble playing and the singing I was listening for and to back then, whereas now it's more the song itself (the chords especially) that need to satisfy my musical longings.
Thanks Qdrone- Music from the Big Pink is such a great record. I'm leaning toward the newer MFSL version, but also keeping an eye out for a Green label RL press.
Yeah I thought the new The Band MFSL was mastered from the master tapes but no.Damn trickery across the top of the record the band reads Mobile fidelity sound labs not original master recording.
I'll give it a spin tonight and comment on the sound. No I'm not going to drag out my original copy or my Simply Vinyl copy and compare them just the sound of this pressing.
Yeah- Perhaps they should have put that out as part of their SILVER series. I totally agree with you on that. If it's NOT an Original Master Recording, don't charge the premium. I'm starting to get the impression that Music from Big Pink, may just be a better recording. If memory serves, MF reviewed both MFSL's, and gave MFBP a better rating. Please share your thoughts, I know you liked the MFSL MFBP. Cheers -Don
First the good on The Band MFSL it is quiet and
not warped but it is in no way in the league with
the MFSL MFBP.
There isn't the instrument separation as in the
MFSL MFBP,it still sounds murky.The organ is lost
in the mix on some songs like Across the Great
Divide.The 24 bit cd re master has separation
galore but it does sound like a digital
recording. Until they find the master the RL
pressing is our best bet.