Power Cord Flavors

Someone recently sent me an e-mail asking about warm and fullbodied power cords versus neutral, clear and extended power cords. I thought I'd post my opinion, and ask others to share theirs, too.

My system is tubes: VAC Phi 110/110, First Sound Presence Depuxe II, APL Denon 3910

Warm and full bodied in my system=
Purist Audio Dominus w/Fluid
Elrod EPS-3 Signature
Revelation Audio Precept
VH Audio Airsine

Neutral, clear and extended=
Shunyata Python and Anaconda
Electraglide Epiphany
Ridge Street Poiema!!!
Audio Indulgence Alpine Lace
TG Audio SLVR and 688
Z Squared
Absolute power cord

That's a scary list of power cords. I'm kind of shocked at how many I've owned and tried.
tvad
As follow-up tp my prior post, in which i raved about the Isoclean Superfocus, I tried swapping the epiphany (previously on my digital front end and preamp) to the amps, and now have the Isoclean superfocus (previously on the amps) feeding the the Reimyo cdp and Nagra preamp.

WOW. I should have thought about this before. After all, the VPA monoblocks are fairly sweet compared to the neutral Nagra PLL (preamp), so it makes some sense to try the more open cord on the sweeter gear, and the slightly warmer cord on the front end and preamp.... The result is a much more natural and enjoyable (less hifi-ish) presentation that is not too recessed or slow (after all the more open epiphany is still in the mix), and yet has tons of air and information, since the superfocus is nearly dead-center in the open/fast/clear versus warm/liquid/palpable continuum and is heavily shielded to be a good fit on a front end and preamp.

In other words, I am tempted to say the Isoclean is smoother and more natural sounding, with rock solid, weighty images, though perhaps with slightly softer bass than the epiphany. Again, I highly doubt my system would sound as good with 100% Epiphany or 100% Isoclean.

As to position, in my system, the front end and preamp are the most sensitive postions as far as power cords and vibrational isolation.
Having tried most of these brands and cords, I would add the Jena Labs One pc to the "warm and full bodied" column. It's more neutral than the Elrod Sig 3 as a point of reference. I use them on my amps but many like it on digital or system wide. Its strengths include strong bass, life-like vocals, and a sense of depth. It's most noticeable trait is a blacker ground. It's my favorite cord so far.
The Shunyata Taipan is an excellent choice for power cable. It really brought the detail and dynamics out. Compared to what I had previously tried with a Michael Wolff Silver Carbon power cord which was dull and smeared the midrange.

The Taipan had controlled and smooth full bass. While the Wolff cord was thinned bass and uneventful.

Good job on the Taipan desgn.
IMO, the main sonic differences between power cables are due to gauge and length. Too heavy of a gauge will darken the sound un-naturally, while too light will bring out detail, in much the same way a dynamic range compressor pushes detail forward, at the expense of 'punch'.
In my experience so far, comparing PC's of different gauges and lengths is very enlightening. After you've established what gauge/length a certain componenet 'wants', then you can fine-tune by trying different wire compositions/strandings/geometry/terminations etc, etc, etc.
You'd be amazed how many times a cheaper cable of optimum gauge and length will blow away the more expensive competition.
As always, JMO.
From the short list of cables I have tried :

Full bodied and warm :
HARMONIC PRO AC11

Neutral and extended :
Synergistic Research AC Master Coupler