Digital or Analog cables from Pre-Amp to Amp.

Digital or Analog interconnect cables from Pre-Amp to Amp.
comments, inputs, feedbacks, thx u much.
rlew
Hi 'x2.

Despends on how the impedances are mismatched. Predominately, the cable's contribution will be dull or bright or, noisy or blunted transients. Whether the mismatch is on either side of the required impedance, efficient energy transmission is wasted.

When the impedances are correct, everything simply snaps into place.

Cheers!

Robert
RSAD
Robert

Thanks for your explanation of impedance in digital interconnects.

I want to be clear about what causes a mis-match of impedance with respect to digital interconnects. The mis-match of impedance most often talked about in audio involves the output impedance and input impedance of two components connnected to each other. I gather that is not true for impedance mis-match in digital cables, because you said the proper impedance is established by the type of termination on the interconnect. That means the proper impedance does not depend on the output impedance of the transport/CD player or the input impedance of the DAC. From what you said, the only way an impedance mis-match could result would be the design of the interconnect itself. Is that right? For example, a cable that yields an impedance of 86 ohms instead of 75 or 110 ohms.
The most efficient data transmission can result when all three components are the same...i.e. output impedance of a transport, characteristic impedance of the I/C and input impedance of a DAC. Otherwise, signal reflections will result to one degree or another. This is not good. Rarely happens but if there's a mismatch somewhere between the three and if it's severe enough, the DAC won't even "lock" onto the signal.

The above is certainly not exhaustive on the subject but it's good info nonetheless.

Cheers!

Robert
RSAD