How does one "Get lost in the music"?

I seem to have lost the ability over the years. Is there a routine you guys follow to get yourself into that state?

My mind is constantly drifting/thinking when i am listening. My equipment is very musical and hiend in nature so i cant blame my equipment for my inability to get emotionally attached.

I dont expect to get into this state everytime i listen, but would like it to happen at least weekly.

Any advice is much appreciated
leicachamp
Alonski, maybe it's an age/era thing. I used to go to another world hearing music on a mono AM car radio before there were 8-tracks or cassettes.

I've heard Eric Clapton say that his studio recordings never have the magic of his 4-track cassette demos.
Tostadosunidos, Yeah, I remember that era. But even earlier, in 1971 or so, I remember my first experience hearing STEREO playback. I was mesmerized – and for the life of me I couldn't understand how that tiny needle tracing a microscopic groove could separate the music into 2 channels! On top of that, early stereo mastering/mixing of popular rock music was all about effects like panning back and forth and disembodying the musicians from their instruments (i.e. different parts of the drum kit showing up in different channels). Yes, now it's total cheese ball, but back then... talk about going to another world... all I can say is – thank God for gravity.

Also, slightly off topic (sorry, Leicachamp):
I know that there's now a renewed interest in MONO... but this time, it's expensive high-end MONO... but I must be missing something. I don't recall ever hearing a MONO rig throwing a wide and deep soundstage, which is where, among other attributes of STEREO, that I get my thrills. Can you (or anyone for that matter) enlighten me as to why there's a retro buzz about 1 Channel sound, to the point of having a few $5K MONO phono carts on the market?
Good point! It helps to be able to carve out the time. A constant rushed lifestyle is probably not conducive to the traditional audiophile thing.

Maybe the trend towards more rushed lifestyles these days in general is one of the biggest barriers towards more people getting into home audio? Hence, the trend towards the more portable solutions, some of which can sound pretty darn good as well, at least on their own terms.

Sure beats the transistor radios and walkmans of years past in regards to sound quality.

I'm sure there are many that get lost in the music listening to their ipods while on the run.

Newer Ipods are not bad for what they are I find and there aare some very fine quality earbuds with both good tonality and detail available as upgrades over the standard issue ones.
Mapman--earbuds? I haven't heard any good ones yet, but an iPod will power some decent headphones.
Alonksi, I presume you meant to type 1961? By 1971 stereo was in full swing and even home cassette decks were starting to appear. The Beatles, who had gone full circle from hard left/right pan mixes to nice soundstage presentations, were defunct. It had all been done by then.