Replacing stock cables: where to start

Hi, everyone. I've got stock cables on my Sony S9000ES CD player, Eastern Electric Minimax tube preamp and Bel Canto eVo 4 Gen II amp. They're connected with FIM Silver and Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects and Speltz speaker cables. I like the chemistry of that equipment and figured the next logical addition would be power cords. I've been told that the CD player would be the best place to start, then the preamp and then the amp. Any thoughts on that? Also, I was hoping to spend $175 or less on each cord (5-6 foot lengths). I'd appreciate any advice on which cords would work well with each piece. Thanks.
newsman
Signal Cable MagicPower cables would be in your budget. Their Digital Reference cords made an immedaite and significantly positive difference on both a transport and a DAC I own. There was less of an improvement using the regular MagicPower cable on an integrated amp, but it was still a step up from the stock cable. If you don't like them, there's a 30-day return policy.
Yep, I'd start with a source first. Get the best cable you can for it. Audience powerChord always worked well on any digital front end component I had. At your price point, for preamp check out Shunyata Diamondback and for amp Shunyata Copperhead. Also look into Virtual Dynamics, Acoustic Zen Tsunami Plus.
Good recommendations above. I've had good luck with AZ Tsunami, VH Audio and Virtual Dynamics. Even the entry level Virtual Dynamic PCs I've owned were very good.
Try the Zu Bok or even better the Varial. But the Zu Bok was already better ( much) then my FIM Silver powercord. Buy used, that's much cheaper and they are burned in. I also like the Soundstring and Audience cables.
I'm fussy about my ic's and speaker cables but never found a power cord that sounded any better to me than what you get for $10.00 at Wal-Mart. Your own experience may differ and it is reasonable to assume that it is somewhat dependent upon differences in equipment. A well intended suggestion would be to have some one help you blind test when you start playing with power cords, at the degree of sublety you are dealing with it is easy for psychological factors to overwhelm perception.