Do you ever doubt you ears ?

I think I have very good hearing, probably better than average based on occasions when listening together with others. I have years of experience listening to a huge range of systems and equipment, a-b
comparisons etc., and I have also read an enormous amount about the subject. No doubt many here are at a higher level than I am.

When comparing cables I sometimes get confused. I hear big differences/improvements sometimes but when I go back to the reference a week later it sounds better. Switching around confuses me more. Bass is always the easiest and most consistent to compare. I start doubting my ears or my memory, especially when my opinion is 180 degrees different to reviews.
mike60
Maybe that is why I like to have a component or cable around for a few weeks before making a decision. It is to easy to listen to something that is different and think it is better, especially if you have to make the decision in a few days. At least for me, having heard it for awhile and then going back to what I was using tells me really quick what I like and why
It is easy to notice something is different, immediately.
Then, after awhile I can't tell anymore. And going back, it doesn't sound so different.
I think because I got used to it, and WAS used to the old sound too, so it is not "new" to me. AND the part that noticed is not actually a part of my 'usual' self awareness.
I am big on the mind being much bigger than consciousness. And that is why double blind tests do not work. Double blind tests are geared 100% to the fully conscious mind. The rest of our large awareness is disregarded by double blind testing. IMO the non-conscious mind behaves in some ways like a bored teenager. And only gets involved when something new pops up, or is somehow special.
In a way a little like a 'peak' experience, but sort of a halfway peak experience, where an unused part of the mind gets involved.
Crude explaination, but I hope it is clear enough.
(and you thought I was crazy before??)
NO, I have not started doubting my ears yet.

I think the best way to 'listen' is to not 'listen' specifically for anything, give it at least two weeks and then switch back, keep the conscious mind out of it, the instruments themselves will show weaknesses etc. things like tonal balance and soundstage will become apparent relatively quickly. Things like inner detail may take a bit longer to identify.

IMO YMMV of course...
Elizabeth,
I don't think that I ever had that thought before, but with the way you articulated it, I think that I would have to agree. In my years of experience with the amps, speakers etc. that I have used, the "larger awareness"" as you say will find it's clear preferences in the long term, without necesarily being able to state the exact reasons, or even needing to.