How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
To be fair to Tbg, I don't think spending money on audio is simply a search for bragging rights, though it might be for some; it is not a bad thing in itself and to some degree there is generally some incremental improvement that comes with spending more on gear,though it is not guarantee, you must match well, and the improvements are far from linear, but that is the luxury market. On the other hand, you can have a great system without having to spend a fortune, a relative term, I know, and to me getting off the merry-go-round can simply mean to enjoy one's system that is well matched and thought out and decide that you don't want or need to be so compulsive about it that you can only feel satisfied by spending more and more money chasing the dream; which is not meant as an indictment for choosing to spend money on your equipment, but keeping a realistic sense of what that money spent actually get's you and not exaggerate what it all means.
You have to be somewhat wealthy to have a really expensive system.

Enjoyment of music is not the province of the wealthy though by any stretch. Being wealthy or having a mega-buck system is obviously not required. An appreciation or love for music is.

OF course many profit in the music and audio industries, just like any other. THat's what makes our world go round I suppose.
After reading most of the posts here I can honestly say I was having trouble getting off of the “merry go round”. However I have started. Please forgive me if I get long in the tongue but I think my mistakes should help others avoid where I went or at least help make me feel better to write about it. It should also be noted that I do not consider myself very knowledgeable or a true Audiophile. I just love listening to quality sound from an awesome system.

Brief history: Back in the 1980’s I got involved in “Audiophile” systems when I listened to a co-workers system that included Magnapan speakers that had large hose style cables and an air compressor to suck the record onto the player, etc. The music made my hair stand on end. I was addicted to the sound. Reality set in when I realized the cost of the system. After buying and upgrading what I would consider low end of the high end equipment I decided to leave my beloved B&K / Dalquist DQ12’s 2 channel system behind after a divorce. Time for a new approach and I had money to spend.

Where to start? Off to Sound by Singer, Park Avenue Audio and Lyric Hi-Fi, Stereo Exchange and started reading reviews, postings on the web, etc. What I wanted from my system:
1. Home Theater 5.1 with Dolby True HD with a nod to two channel stereo. Mono Blocks for the front speakers would be my nod to two channel audio, a three channel amp would power my center and rears and my pre-pro would feed my sub. All my reading suggested that separate components are “better” than an all in one receiver. Was this my first mistake? Not sure, just decided to make a decision and go with it.
2. Open sounding speakers (Like my Dalquists). I rarely just sit for long to listen to two channel. I didn’t want speakers that only sounded great in the sweet spot.
3. Warm, detailed and emotionally charged system. After reading reviews and postings on Audiogon I found the words used to describe components and speakers confusing. I wanted my new system to draw me in and put a smile on my face like a wonderful 1997 cabernet from Napa Valley. Never read that in a review but it meant something to me.
4. Value for my hard earned money. Did not want to over pay for anything. However, I consider service a key factor when working with dealers and they need their fair share of profit to provide that service.

The first thing I created was a “flexible” budget after deciding on how I wanted to proceed: Pre-Pro – 5 to 6K, Mono Blocks – 5K, 3 Channel amp 2-3K, Sub – 2k, Speakers 5K, Cables, power cords 1K, DVD / CD – 1-2K. This was my first really big mistake. How did I come up with these numbers? I just pulled them out of thin air. My thinking was speakers first, then components. Just by spending more money I should get better quality than my old two channel B&K / Dalquist system, right????? This decision started me on the path of audio alcoholism.

Off to the dealers. First I found it really easy to tell if I liked one speakers sound over another. They are all quite unique. I can not remember all the ones I auditioned but here is the short list from my memory: Magnapan, Dali, B&W, Podium and Magico. Now if you read the reviews of the Magico’s how could you not buy these over every other speaker in the world? No MDF, internal bracing like never before and the sound OMG. While I was very, very impressed they did not fit my need for openness. As I moved about the room they lost focus. You had to sit still to hear all their fullness. Did I also mention the price! Loved Maggie’s and the Podium speakers but do not have the space in my apartment to pull them away from the wall as they require. So far nothing fit my needs AT MY PRICE.

Auditioning amps was almost impossible for me. Yes I could tell the difference in tonalality but if I didn’t like the speaker how could I tell if I like the quality of the amp? Do you go just on tonality? Don’t amps sound different attached to different speakers? This could be my second big mistake. I decided to choose a speaker I loved and buy components on reviews and price. I found that dealers were pushing me to very high priced amps and pre-pro’s and if I found a speaker I liked they inevitably did not have an amp hooked up to it in my budget. How can you buy a system with restrictions with money, needs and what is available to demo? Do you just go with the dealer’s “description” of what will sound best? I decided to go back to the web and read reviews and postings to see what others have to say. My thought was to get a well rounded aerial view of what would best meet my needs.

Time to narrow things down. Let’s start with the speakers. Found a company called Accent and everything I read seemed to fit my needs, price and the designer used to work on Dalquist speakers. Off to lyric Hi-Fi and listened to the Accent Nola Viper. I liked the quality and it sort of fit my needs though not overly impressed with the detail and warmth. The dealer had me follow him into the “high end” room to demo a speaker he just got in from Accent. We listened to the Nola Micro Grand Reference speaker and my world changed. My first response was pure emotion. I was mesmerized by the sound quality detail and openness. I had that smile on my face I was looking for. Walking around the room it sounded just as good from every angle. It reminded me of a Far Niente 1997 Cabernet from Napa. I was hooked. Budget just jumped from 5k to 12k in an instant. I had to have these speakers. Is this another mistake here as I failed to demo any other speaker in this price range? I did not care I loved what I heard and that was it.

Amps – Lyric had Audio Research tube amps hooked up to the Nola’s. I did not want tubes for home theater and AR amps are very expensive. Should I look for used? I decided not to go used for any of my components as I did not want to start out with any operational issues. LOL! New isn’t much better as I learned. Now that I was settled on speakers how do you demo amps? I found you can usually hear 3-4 different amps at a dealer and pick one that you like. Go to another dealer and do the same but how do you “remember” the sound vs. the other choices from the other dealer again all on different speaker choices. At Lyric they did not have amps in my price range to hook up to the Micro Grand’s and they did not offer to move some in but I could listen to them on other speakers in the “other” room. Would my new Micro Grand Speakers sound as good with any other amp? From what I could than gather from my 1000 foot view was that Mono Blocks are better than Stereo units. In my price range I discovered Red Dragon Leviathan amps. I read the reviews, learned all I could about class D amps and I fell into a big trap. I got sucked in by the jewelry. The amps were surrounded by beautiful Cocobolo wood. One review said tube like sound. I found a dealer demo pair for 2k less than list. So based on my readings, price and visual emotion I purchased these without demonstrating them. A year later I found a review on The Absolute Sound. While they liked them they did have issues. OMG, my amps have issues, this article has gnawed at me like a baby crying on an airplane. Is it time to upgrade? I am very happy with the sound but could I do better? Boulder, Theta and Ayer make tube like mono block amps in the 10k range. Would they be “better”? They must as their reputation is highly regarded by all on the web. How could I not want these vs. my Red Dragon Amps with Absolute Sound review issues? See how this goes!

Pre-Pro’s: I wanted surround, great 2 channels and Dolby True HD. I found this search easier from the web as I reviews and forums really do have a great amount of detail on this subject. I went with the Arcam FMJ 888 as it had all my needs and at my price range. I also found a dealer who really gave me a great deal. Done. I had some issues with the unit and horrible service from Arcam UK. I sold the unit with all new boards and software as I emotionally just didn’t want it anymore. Read reviews and purchased an upgraded Theta Casablanca III. Price jumped from original 5k budget to 11k. Ah…. but the quality!

Three Channel Amp: After reading reviews I decided on an Odyssey Audio HT3 amp. Found a used one on Audiogon and had Odyssey upgrade the unit to their Kismet level. This is my start as a component upgrade junkie. How could upgrades not be “better”? They built me a one of a kind amp and it took 6 months. Turned out the XLR connections between Arcam and Odyssey did not work no matter what pin connection you use. I had to change out all of my interconnects to single ended. Once again overcomplicating my situation.

Rear Speakers: Really not a heck of a lot of info on the web. I needed on wall speakers as I have an apartment. Since I had an emotional connection to Maggie’s I went with the on-wall MC-1’s. How could you go wrong? Well you can’t as they sound great but the Wife factor is a source of trouble as they are very large hanging behind my couch and she is not happy.

Power Conditioner: Need one right? My friend had a Richard Gray C1200. Worked well with his system so I got one used from Audiogon. I was starting to make quick and poorly informed decisions as I was getting tired from all this reading. Another Mistake.

Cables: Total cable junkie sucked in by reviews and price not by matching to system. Budget $1000 spent $2000. I could spend three more pages on all my mistakes on cable purchases. Quick example. First bought Better Cables XLR’s between my Pre-Pro and Mono Blocks. Then upgraded to Nordost Frey as the reviews were awesome and I found a good deal. Hated them! My system sounded flat. Lesson learned I started to work SLOWLY with Joe from The Cable Company and I really respect his opinion. Bought Crystal Cable Micro’s interconnect and speaker cables and various power cords to match my components. Extremely happy. My system is alive like never before. Original budget 1k now 9k in power cables and interconnects. Holy !@#$% this is the first time I ever added them all up. Could I have done better with new components? I might have been better served but I am satisfied with my new components so helping them along seems like a good choice.

Tweaks: The beginning of my downward spiral to oblivion. Amp stands, shelves, Herbies Audio Lab products, Granite Audio Ground enhancers, Cable lift etc etc etc. I figured if they help even just a little why not? It’s fun! Little bits should add up to a bigger pay off. Big Mistake, I was just buying to buy overly obsessed and compulsive.

As I was having issues with one of my components I took a long look behind my audio rack, sighed and said to myself what have I done? Cables everywhere, total confusion and I really was not enjoying music anymore. I was lost. Decided to SIMPLIFY, downsize and go for purity of sound not reviewed sound. I went back to my list of basics that I wanted from my system and how I remembered that feeling of when I first heard my Nola speakers.

Away with multiple amplifiers, away with tweaks, away with unused components. Get rid of my kids WII that she never uses anymore and remove the FAT. Like Mayor Bloomberg says no more 32oz sodas for my stereo system anymore. I decided to just go for it with components. For example I purchased a Theta Pre-Pro, Cary 7 channel amp and my speakers never sounded better. I am back to enjoying my music and movies. Life has calmed down except the Cary won’t power on and it is back to the factory were of course they can’t find the problem. High end has its cost I guess.

Keep it simple, take it very slow, trust your emotions and ENJOY like a fine wine is my new motto.

Off of the Merry go Round go I. ‘Cept that review of my Dragons still gnaws at me :).
Great post, Sailcappy. Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale and baring your soul. I can certainly relate to just about everything in your story.

One part that really caught my attention was Lyric's refusal to bring in amp from other rooms in the store to try with your intended new speakers. If I'm going to spend $12K on a pair of speakers from a dealer, I damn well expect them to let me listen with amps from elsewhere in their store.
There should be a thread where all frustrated audiophiles get to bare their soul. That could provide some interesting reads. Maybe this thread is the one?