Best DVD player in $500-$1000 Range

Any first hand experiences in this price range would be great. My TV is not progressive scan compatable.? Thanks
aw118
I just bought a used s7700 for $425. You can internet order them new for $575. It find its movie performance to be quite excellent. It's sound is pretty good for movies, ban d 'just ok' for cd playback. The denon 5000 I had before had better sound. I chose it for it's build quality and the fact that it works well with my sony tv and DBS. S-Link and sony's univeral remote make a nice system. I'm happy with it.
What I would do if I am looking for a DVD Player in the $500.00 to $1,000.00 price range is just like someone else has said (I believe it was "Sdcampbell") is look at such websites such as "Audiogon", "C-Net", "Yahoo" and "E-Bay". Also, look at other sites such as "Audio Review" and "Audio Shopper". You may find some bargains on any of those sites. Like I said before, that's the route that I am also going to take. I bought my VCR (a high-end Sony..... an SLV-R5UC) off of the internet and I don't have any regrets either. That is also going to be one of the routes that I am going to take when it is time to buy my DVD Player. The first one route I am going to take is to see whether I can land me either a Pioneer Elite DV-09 or a Sony DVP-S7700 from my local "high-end" Audio/Video dealer first at a close out (being that Sony has already came out with the DVP-S9000ES and expect Pioneer to follow suit soon with their "Progressive Scan" Player (if they haven't done so already))(but I don't know whether or not the new Pioneer will have SACD Capability or not..... I know that the new Sony does) price. If by any chance that I cannot do that (that is get a "high-end" DVD Player at a reasonable price at my dealer), then I will venture to the internet and get my player that way. I know that either my Pioneer Elite DV-09 or Sony DVP-S7700 is waiting for me out there somewhere in cyberspace. And just for the record, my TV (a Panasonic CT-27SF37) does not have "progressive scan" capability either.
An addend--If by any chance that I don't end up landing either a Pioneer Elite DV-09 or a Sony DVP-S7700 either from my local "high-end" dealer (and they carry both of these players) or I cannot find either one for what I think is a reasonable price (I expect to pay at least $600.00 for a brand new one (again, of either player) and no more than $950.00. In fact, $950.00 is as high as I am willing to go (for the right player)), then I will go on the internet and see if I can get me a used one for a great price (only this time, I will pay a minimum of $450.00 and a maximum of $700.00). Now, if that step does not pan out and fails to land me the player I really want, only then I will look very closely and very hard to the Pioneer (Elite??) DV-37. If the Pioneer (Elite??) DV-37 has a superior picture to either the Pioneer Elite DV-09 or the Sony DVP-S7700 and a superior sound to match, then even though I may have to give up something in terms of build quality and parts quality, but I won't at all be disappointed. Otherwise, it is a Pioneer Elite DV-09 or a Sony DVP-S7700 that I really want. Not only will either of these players will allow me to get the most that I can get out of my TV (a 27-Inch Panasonic CT-27SF37) in terms of picture quality, but they would also extract the maximum sound quality available from the audio portion of my home theater (a Yamaha DSP-A780 Dolby Pro-Logic Integrated Amplifier and the associated Speaker System (and I putting my sights (and ears!!!) on either an Atlantic Technology T-70 or System 170, a Boston Acoustics System 9000, or a Paradigm Cinema Speaker System (all with subwoofers)). But also, one of the main reasons I want a Pioneer Elite DV-09 or a Sony DVP-S7700 so bad is because of the quality of parts and the build quality of both of these players (both of which I think is excellent to begin with).
Chasskelljr, The build quality of the DV-37 is fine, with excellent design features, (separation of power, audio, video sections). Its performance equals, or betters the DV-09, and if you ever need progressive scan in the future, your already set. Believe me the DV-37 has a superior picture to the Sony DVP-7700, and way better sound. I had them both on the same TV, and the Pioneer has more of a three dimensional look, richer colors, sharper picture. You can find the DV-7 around $700 easily. Good luck.
Bmpnyc--Thanks for the tip..... Your point is well taken.... I'll add the Pioneer Elite DV-37 to my shortlist. But one other question remains. I thought that the Pioneer Elite DV-37 retails for about $1,000.00. And I see you managed to land yours for $700.00. Where can you buy a Pioneer Elite DV-37 for that price?? That sounds like an awfully great price. --Charles--