HELP - I need a cheap pro logic amp & I'm lost -

I've been a 2 channel guy for 30 years so I know very little about this 5 channel stuff. I'd prefer to run my main amp/preamp separately for 2 channel but I'd like to set a 5 channel system for movies and TV playback.

What I (think) I want is a Prologic (Dolby or otherwise) with a built-in amp for the rear and center channels and selectable time delay. I'm on a budget so I'm looking for ideas on used equipment that will fill the bill without sounding like 2 tomatoe cans and a string. I'd like you're recommendations and the benefit of your experience.

Thanks for the help in advance.
morbius2130aol
Thanks for the input, guys. I know this home theatre concept can be an expensive proposition, and in the grand scheme of things TV and DVDs take a back seat to 2 channel stereo with me. It's fair to say that I know about stereo but I must confess to little familiarity with 5, 6 and 7(!) channel. I'd like to have a bit of the "Theatre Experience" when I watch a movie and some of the live concerts I pick up on sattelight broadcast. I just haven't spent that much time researching the subject; which is why I have deferred to your input. I would prefer to accept the evaluations of those more experienced than I in these matters rather than reinventing the wheel. But in answer to your question regarding my budget...

As this will be my first shot at 5+ channel, I'd like to buy a used prologic processer/amp systemprocessor amp and stay at or under $150. But if digital is really worth it, I guess I'd look at $500 for a used system or so if it would really make a difference.

Your opinions please...
Thanks for the input, guys. I know this home theatre concept can be an expensive proposition, and in the grand scheme of things TV and DVDs take a back seat to 2 channel stereo with me. It's fair to say that I know about stereo but I must confess to little familiarity with 5, 6 and 7(!) channel. I'd like to have a bit of the "Theatre Experience" when I watch a movie and some of the live concerts I pick up on sattelight broadcast. I just haven't spent that much time researching the subject; which is why I have deferred to your input. I would prefer to accept the evaluations of those more experienced than I in these matters rather than reinventing the wheel. But in answer to your question regarding my budget...

As this will be my first shot at 5+ channel, I'd like to buy a used prologic processer/amp and stay at or under $150. But if digital is really worth it, I guess I'd look at $500 for a used system or so if it would really make a difference.

Your opinions please...
I have a pro-logic Onkyo (paid $140 used is 135 wpc) now that I am going to sell, I was going to use it in this fashion but my 43" tv broke so I have to sell it. I am going to replace the onkyo with one of the following. Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 (60X6 but seems more than that) (zoran DSP) for $499 from outlawaudio.com, AMC R9 (100X5) in like new condition from half.com $315, or one of the refurbished harman kardon units from ubid (avr 310 $290-310 2 year warranty from harman kardon) or they also have adcom 7300's (60 X 5 amp only $300 in conjuction with a Onkyo 494/Denon 1801 or $600 total). I have looked at the adcom GSP 600, 650, and 700 but I heard a lot of bad things about them. I intended to buy another amp with the Onkyo that I have, but ended up spending more on cables for my cd player than the Onkyo. I will sell it to utilize a digital pcm connection to the cd player and dvd. Depending on your choice of cables ( i bought MIT Terminator 2 and 330 series II to get warmer sound) this is not unrealistic to do. I find the sound of my Denon 2801's($525 from moreaudiovideo.com) DAC to be comparable to that of my Denon DCM-560 with the $175 mit interconnects. The difference between dolby and dolby pro-logic when reproduced from a dvd or digital out of a satellite combined with cable costs more than makes up for the difference in price between the 2 technologies.