To tone control or not to tone control

I recently stepped up to a Conrad Johnson PFR preamp to mate with my CJ MF-2200 amp (200 wpc). Was previously running an Adcom GTP-450 pre/tuner which had bass/treble controls which help to compensate for those recordings which are recorded poorly. Though the CJ PFR sounds really good on most of my cd's there are some of my favorite artists whose recordings are really pitiful. Is there a good tone control which I can use on the PFR to use for these poor recordings? Is there a way to connect both preamps to one system. I do have an older cdp that I could connect to the Adcom preamp for the poor cd's and use the main system for the good stuff. I have also thought of trying a subwoofer to help with filling in the bottom end since most of the poor recordings are R&B and Rock N'Roll and that is where they seem to be lacking the most. The rest of my system consists of a Sherwood Newcastle 980 cdp and Infinity RS 5000 speakers (12 yrs old) and next to be replaced. As always your help is appreciated
128x128artemus_5
just an observation about the lack of tone controls on highend pre's: accuphase includes remotely controllable tone controls on their top-of-the line all digital dc-330. the control can be bypassed but if engaged allows you to select 2 frequencies in the "high" (2khz, 7khz) and "low" (200hz, 500 hz) ranges and adjust any or all of these frequencies in .5db increments. i have rarely used this feature but have found that it does not "distort" the sound, presumably since it works entirely in the digital domain.

accuphase also offers a 64 band digital "voicing equalizer" that may function as a super-sophisticated "tone control" allowing you to compensate for room anomalies. this product, the dg-28, as well as the dc 330 are quite pricy but they do work. there are less-expensive choices, too, including those sold by z systems. -kelly
Artemus, I can understand your dilema. My speakers are very revealing and while I have sorted out upstream components, it is still frustrating to listen to poorly recorded CD's. The more revealing and transparent your system is, the more source material becomes a factor. Like most people here I do not subscribe to tone controls in the circuit -- the simplest, most direct pre-amp circuit is best IMO. I am able to deal with poor recordings by clicking in a little more triode and a little less pentode on my Baron amp; how much depends on the recording. It doesn't transform a poor recording into a good one, but it does make it easier to listen to good music that is recorded badly. I will say that I rarely do this. If adding tone controls makes things better to your ears, I say go for whatever sounds best to you.
Tone controls are a necessity on alot of music. All you naysayers dead against them are correct from a textbook standpoint,but you must understand that all music is not Lyrita, RCA Living Stereo, Mercury etc. Put tone controls on those and you will ruin the sound. I am a back to mono man musically, I mean, that I listen to mostly artists from before 1958. The greatest voices ever recorded( I'm talking Ezio Pinza, Tito Schipa, Titta Ruffo, Lawrence Tibett, Billie Holliday, etc.)very much do need tone control compensation.In fact, I need to switch preamps for older music because my tone controless preamp does not work at all with them.
78 RPM transfers onto CDs are particularly offensive with a top end that simply isnt there. Tipping up the response with a good tone control makes them appear to have the data again.
Mark Levinson (the man), saw that some of his favorite music from the mono era was just that way and adressed the problem incredibly with the Palette. How I wish I could have afforded one.
Cornfedboy, I did check into the Z systems digital EQ. It retails for $2500 which i thought was pricey. Their literature seems to indicate that it hooks between the DAC and transport of your cdp so unless you are running separates you cannot use it , that is unless your 1 pc cdp has digital ins and outs. Mine does not and I suspect most 1 pc cdp do not.
I thought that it was mentioned above but cannot find it now (perhaps I am thinking of another thread) but Musical Fidelity used to make a little add on called the X-Tone that you should be able to use as Bruce mentions using the Adcom in his above post and it could then be either switched in or out. The problem though is finding one on the used market, though it should cost $150 or less. I have seen three of them for sale within the last six months at Audiogon, Audo Reveiw and Ebay.