Advice on Phono Stage

I need advice on a phono stage. I have an ARC PH3SE which sounds a little bright in my system. I'm running it through a Threshold T2 line stage and Pass Aleph amps into Dynaudio Contour 3.3 speakers. Turntable is VPI Aries, 10.5 tonearm, and a Benz Ruby H cartridge. Cables are Cardas and Discovery. Can anyone recommend a phono stage that will add a little warmth to the system? I don't want to go over $4000 new or used and would prefer SS over tubes. Thanks.
rsfphil
I say replace your solid state preamp with a tubed one. You already have an excellent phono stage, I suggest holding on to it. Find a used quality tubed preamp from Conrad-Johnson, Audible Illusions or even Audio Research. Don't get me wrong, the Threshold is a fine unit, but if you're looking for a little extra warmth, tubes are the only way to go! Or..., since you already have a tubed phono stage, try running it straight to your amp with passive preamplification - that is just volume control, no active line stage. Try one of the the passive attenuators from DACT, EVS, Placette Audio or Audio Synthesis. With this configuration, I believe you'll get the added warmth you're looking for plus much improved transparency. I just wish I had 4K to spend on a preamp!!!

Good luck and happy listening!
Jojo
You know, that is a kind of question like: what colour for my car should I choose ? I am a little bit joking.
I know some of your equipment very well ( Cardas, Pass amps, Benz system ).
This is only my opinion, so no one should be dissapointed, the ARC Phono is a nice unit, but it is not an excellent one, it uses Tubes right, but it is sounding ice cold and I think that is the reason why you ask for help.
I think there are a few units available which will satisfy you:
These sound not really warm, they sound right !( and a world class better than an ARC )
Jeff Rowland Phono stage ( doesn't matter which one )
Stan Klyne Model 7
the list is of course not complete but from these I know they go the way you need.
With tube phono amps I am not so well informed, but I heard the Aesthetix is interesting and maybe the Hovland ( Integrated preamp ) but this can be noisy.
That you will definetly hear when using Threshold and Pass amplification.
passive pre is a good suggestion. try tim at luminous audio for a passive pre called the axiom
luminous@cavtel.net i like the one i have. kurt
the musical surroundings phenomena is very good and very affordable ($600 msrp- often discounted). -kelly
What is wrong with tubes? I recently traded up from an ARC PH3 to a used Aesthetix Io and was so blown away I subsequently purchased the companion Callisto line stage. These are world class pieces with the stock tubes in 'em and with low noise NOS tube selections in the right spots...