surround sound system with two speakers ?

why can't you have a surround system with only two speakers? I thought that you distinguish sound direction by the delay that it takes the sound to reach one ear then the other. if this is true why can't you have a processor that will make this delay between two speakers. If anybody knows anything about this subject let me know, maybe i am wrong but if i'm right why doesn't anyone make this processor.
rowestera9b1
Yamaha is selling just one speaker with I dunno how many drivers in it, but it is for surround sound. It is slim and will git on alot of TV's I believe it uses your walls to create the image of surround.....I know...I know, sounds like BOSE technology.
As Hpims says, Bob Carver's "sonic holography" tried to do this. I had it in a Carver preamp. IF you set your speakers up just right, and IF you sat up straight in a hard chair placed in exactly the right spot, and IF you didn't move your head, it worked quite well. Too many "IFs"! I rarely used it. A real sound source in the rear is much better than a simulated one.
How about with one speaker? I heard a demo of the new single Yamaha system, and for home cinema it was great. They had it matched with the Arcam reciever, and a Denon 3910 DVD player. Sound was excellent. Great for movies, not bad at all on music. Pretty cool idea for city dwellers.