The Canadians that visit the site

It would be helpful to know who else lives in the Great White North, certainly make buying/selling/trading gear a little easier without worrying about our good friends at Canadian customs trying to take more hard earned money from us. I'm in Montreal, email addy is jefflo@istar.ca
jeffloistarca
Got a question for one of you Canadians, eh? If I were to drive up to PQ from New Hampshire to buy a used piece of audio gear, what would happen when I got to the border on the way home, eh? (Sorry about the "eh" at the end of each sentence - just kidding around. No offence meant, eh) ;>)
Hi Elgordo.
It depends on where the product was made. If it was made in Canada or in the US. and under $3000 USD. there is no charge, except they might get you for a $5 charge for the paper work. If it's over $3000 USD., they will ask you to go through a brokerage firm. Between you and the seller, I'm sure that you can "FIX" the sale price.I'm not too sure how it will work if the piece of gear was made in the U.K. or somewhere else, as all of the pieces that I brought across were made here or in the US. You can also check with US. costoms and I'm sure they can give you all the information you need.
Good luck. Wayne
El Gordo, if you drive to PQ, gimme a shout. Drop by, we'll spin some tunes and have a good Canadian beer. Whatcha got lined up to buy BTW? Jeff
1. Tandberg 3001a tuner for U$ 650.00, shipping included.
The Seller wrhigts on the package:" old tuner for a friend"
value $100.00 ( doesn't say what kind...). Insures it for
U$650.00. Got it through Post air mail in 8 days. Duty $15.
2. E88CC Siemens tubes for U$85.00 Seller states: " tubes,
value U$85 ( translates into Can$130.00 ). Duty fees $25.
I don't mean to say: "better buy a tuner than tubes..." but
make sure you instruct the Seller with respect to "value"
issue and other additional information. Specialy when they
live in California while we enjoy the long winter up North ...and have to pay 15% tax too( that's 7%GST and 8%PST ).
What a life! Cheers!
hey, all you canadian guys: i say forgetabout the hifi gear for awhile. you gotta save up enough to keep at least one NHL team in canada. i mean, do ya' really think they should be playing "the coolest game on earth" in florida? texas? north (or south) carolina? california? don't get me wrong, i'm mighty glad us folk in denver got the nordiques. but it would be no small loss to have the maple leaf flag that proudly hangs in all our stadia replaced with a banner reading "blame it on canada." pretty neat to see y'all hangin'. great post jeff. -kelly