Looking to get TT

I seeking getting into a first TT and would like help!
My current system is Classe 25 amp, Classe CP-60 pre, Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 D/A, Sonic Fontiers SFT-1 Transprt
and Martin Logan Ascent. My preamp doesn't have phono so I would need phono preamp to hook into my CP-60 so having explained my set and only wanting to spend no mor than $1000 on TT and phono pre can it be done?
Was thinkng going with music hall MMF-5 andCreek OBH-8 as this would be my first TT set up and total cost would be around $700. Is this going to give me many years of good sound? in the future I can go with phono card for my preamp.
jsawhitlock
I finally read what you meant. You need to prove me wrong. Just pasting what I posted and declaring it ridiculous doesn't cut it. I can advance that I learned #1 from Dejan V. Veselinovic, one of Europe's most knowledgeable audio writers http://www.zero-distortion.com.

Question: "If your opinions are different from what is sonicly, important. Why do you make them here as if they have some sonic importance?"

What is different, in Viridian's words (and I totally agree) is the *hierarchy* of what is important, not whether something is important or not. Pecking order, in nautical English.

Quote: "After reading all of the above statements one can only conclude that you have never lived with a revealing Analog front-end, or you would not have these opinions."

Define revealling, please. Also, it is proper to use the first person, please ( "I"...can only conclude).

The person who started me on high end is a friend of our family and he always taught me (since I was 15) that what was important in a high end system was "resolution". As I learned more and more I found out that statement was erroneous. A high end system should be *musical*. Now I'm 40 and my system must be clean, musical and intimate (that's why the list price of my noise control rig is more than that of my audio gear--about $8K). This man always drooled cause I was "connected" to the music world and ALWAYS had the kick ass LPs. His Sota vacuum TT and flavor of the month arm and low output MC could pick up defects in my pressings, and that what he was actively listening for (he had downgraded from a Technics SP10, BTW). My cousin told me last year that he finally admitted to him he'd spent all these past 40 years listening to equipment. If he heard my rig he'd have a heart attack! When I took my little, $315/pr Yamaha NS-10M Studio and squared them against his $6K B&W 801's he almost had a heart attack! Oh, Mr. Klyne and Krell were doing the pre amp & power stages...and $100 a foot speaker wire feeding the juice.

Quote: "Now for the important question, how many Vertigo swirls do you have, and do you want to sell any."

I do not understand what you mean.

If TWL agrees, I will take the creature on steroids on a road trip to Appalachia sometime next fall. How about that?
Cool, I really like the Idea of you and Tom Getting together Franscisco, to settle this once and for all.

Tom you need to respond to this thread, I know you are reading this with glee.

I had to write that post 3 times to get it to the point it was kind and not bashing you.
So I will not try to prove you wrong, and start a pissing match.

About the first person thing, I believe that most anyone would come to the same conclusion, so I said what I meant.

The term "Revealing" was used to be polite as part of my gentler third revision.

About Vertigo swirls, I am surprised you do not understand. You stated you always had all the kick ass LP"s.

Look here to learn about great Treasure

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/2727/vert.htm

If any one else has any swirls for sale, e-mail me please.
I have some swirls but still need alot.

Thanks
Ron
RR, the definition of what constitutes "kick-ass LP's" is evidently highly personal. My criteria is rarely as a collector, but primarily as a music lover, and as such I wouldn't care about the Vertigo stuff, whatever it was worth, unless I happened to stumble upon one cheap (but thanks for the educational link). PA undoubtedly has his own definition as well, and I'm sure it wouldn't totally jibe with mine either. Vive la difference, no? (And doesn't this apply a bit in matters audio too?...) I for one would not exactly be surprised if what TWL was reading this hoo-ha with wasn't actually "glee"...Why focus on manufacturing points of contention between us when what's obviously more significant is our similarities? :-)
Zaikes, the deal with the most of the Vertigo stuff is that they are truly great musically that's why they fetch big money.
I personally will not pay the big bucks and have a few that have been reissued that are not swirls, but as you know the first UK editions will sound better. That's why I try to get those instead. I have stated before I am patient in my collecting and always try to get them cheap.
That's why I asked psych if he had any for sale. also tried to focus on our similarities,music and LP's

I do not collect for the sake of collecting I only keep LP's that I love to play, That reminds me I need to go through my collection and weed out those that I don't listen too or at least give them A spin.

A few of the guys from work come over to here my LP's(swirls included) and say its the best music you never heard. I really have lost interest with the modern music you know the stuff the kids listen to (30 and younger) for us, but I still crave some new tunes. So I look to the swirl, and other labels to fill the void. The world is a big place and I always found that the truly great music rarely made it on the radio. Let alone the radio stations I listened to as a kid growing up in Minneapolis.

what I am saying as a music lover Zaikesman you would love most of these lp's but remember they are progressive Rock and folk.
If you only like classical then it will not be your cup of tea. If you like Jethro Tull then you like progressive rock.

Zaikesman, maybe we should let TWL speak for himself about this hoo-ha