Multiple Copies Of LP s Same Title

A short note to see how perverse my record collecting is.

I have the worst habit of buying multiple copies of the same title especially if they are rare, and or sought after.

I feel that they are not going to get any cheaper, and there will be a day when we never see some of them again. If a rare LP is presented to me from my UK Sellers, and or found in the Shop's I just have to buy it (Regardless of how many copies I have).

I thought of this last night as I was play grading my third Atlantic Plum Label Yes - Fragile copy.

Just wondering if there are others like me out there.

Thanks,

David
djohn
Ive got the fever here...Promos, Uk issues, Japanese issues!!!!,Russian issues, South Amercian issues, Clear Vinyl, coloured vinyl, limited editions...you get the picture. I am fortunate to live in an area where record stores are plenty and in most cases vinyl is cheap. So whats wrong with 5 copies of a Ricky Lee Jones record when you get them for $4 each?
Oh yeah, I own 5 copies of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", 4 copies of Paul Simon's "Graceland", 3 copies of Steely Dan's "Aja", 3 copies of Bruce Sprinsteen's "Born to Run", etc...I keep multiple copies around cuz I figure when one gets worn out I have back up copies, and I also own three turntables in three distinct systems so having extra copies comes in handy. The value on the open market of my vinyl really hasn't mattered too much to me since I bought it all purely for my own enjoyment, but I can see how people would be willing to pay a pretty penny for records. Analog may be a little finicky, but certainly worth the effort to my ears.
I am guilty of this also. I own 4 copies of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" (Japanese, British, EMI, Mobile Fidelity).I also have 4 copies of The Who "Who's Next" (Japanese, British, German, MCA reissue). Each of the LP's has a different sound to it. I also own multiple copies of many other LP's. Is this a sicknes? My wife thinks it is, but I am having FUN!
Whatjd says is of utmost importance. The basic record collector rules/guidelines for audiophiles are as follows:
1)Always try to identify first issues/labels
2)Always purchase the copy in the Home country of the master tape (and forget about those wonderful Japanese pressings with the perfect and quiet surfaces and the better covers. Magnificent work, but almost always inferior sound compared to original country of origin issues. wasted alot of money on these. Too bad cause the workmanship was none finer!)
3)There are exceptions, but remember reissues are usually Not as good as originals. Many factors that include Tape deterioration and SS electronics in the case of pre 64 music.
4) Audiophile issues from Mobile Fidelity usually are Not as good as original issues either, UNLESS the mastering was botched up to begin with (Like most A&M Record 70s pop releases)
Sorry if I drifted off thread.
Finally, Yes I also snag insurance copies when I see the correct combiations listed above......Thanks for listening...Frank
I also am guilty. Especially with used LPS. You never know whether it sounds a little better than the other 9 you own. I once bought a Copy of Pines and Fountains of Rome (Reiner, RCA shaded dog) for $10. . It looked to have some small surface marks but even though I already owned 3 copies of the same LP it was the 1s1s (first) pressing and I figured what the hey. Once I got it home and cleaned it on the VPI we sat down for a listen. My wife wept. I choked up it was so outstanding. The shear emotion of the recording had been fully revealed.
It is the constant search for the music that moves us. And once we find it we do not want to live without it.
That's why I think we buy multiple copies.