Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
ANyone who has an Amazon Fire TV device already, or thinking of getting one, I am getting very good results from that running Plex ($5 app for Fire TV) to stream same .FLAC files as my current Squeezebox system that I have run happily for several years now.

Amazon Fire TV ($99) is a fairly decent powered, Android computer specialized for streaming high res audio and video. It has toslink out that can run into most any DAC. PLEX connects to PLEX server you run on your computer file server.

An added benefit of PLEX is that you can access your media (video, photos, music) from anywhere with an internet connection. I use an Ipod with good quality earbuds at the local pool for example and sound quality is top notch.

Its all very good stuff. Not a bust by any stretch.
Alex wrote:
"Steve, but I thought you are using one of those third-party off-the-shelf modules in your current products too, thought with improved clocking and power supplies?"

You would be mistaken. All of my interfaces are custom designed by me.

I have modded many CD transports in past years. Some of these became references. None of them hold a candle to my computer audio interfaces. It helps to have 30 years of digital design experience in the computer industry.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"According to Steve Nugent, wireless/ethernet is supposedly a superior interface in terns of jitter"

True, but still only as good as the designer designing it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"Does having a asynchronous USB help with jitter and obviate the need for reclocking or SPDIF converters, as claimed here?"

It does eliminate some sources of jitter, namely the computer clock, however jitter can still be introduced by common-mode noise and RFI. The master clock and the associated clocking circuitry in the interface is also critical to getting a good result. The design will determine whether Async USB interface is good or not. There are a lot of mediocre ones out there.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Audiolabyrinth, I have a nice 1905 Gramaphone, which is really easy to use. Does not even require power. I dont listen to it much though because the SQ sucks.

Your CDP will also be relegated to the other antiques soon, trust me.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio