What about the Teres Turntable?

Okay, you guys, I know I said that I was going to stick with SACD and never go back to analog. That was last month. This month I can't live without it anymore. I am going to buy an analog setup. My M.O. is to buy the best sounding gear at the lowest price possible by searching out the lesser known "gems" that many others pass over. This Teres turntable seems like it has all the right stuff, and comes as a simple kit. The reviews say it's in the league with the TNT, Clearaudio, Verdier and other $6k-$10k tables. The good news is it is only $1350-$2500 for the kits(less arm). A lesser table, the Scheu designed Eurolab, won TAS golden ear award last year. All the guys at the Vinyl Asylum say the Teres is much better than the Eurolab. What do any of you guys know about the Teres, or the others like Redpoint or Eurolab? Are there any other world class tables out there that are in that kind of price category that I am missing? Help would be greatly appreciated.
twl
Wow, a linear arm for 400 bucks! Twl, is there a website where I could check this out? Thanks, Chris
http://www.rauna.com/cantus.html Sure Chris,this is the link. It is a very simple design, but it looks to have all the right ideas. They claim it is as good as any linear arm made, as long as it is set up correctly. I have emailed them in Sweden twice and have gotten no response yet. They have no US dealers that I have found.
"The guys on the Asylum say that the Teres outperforms the JC Verdier and is comparable to tables in the $10k-$15k range " . Lol .Where did you read that in AA?
I think it's pretty safe to say that the Teres competes very well with similarly-priced offerings from VPI, Clearaudio, Basis, etc. -- perhaps even with those at a higher price point, but I've done no extensive comparisons myself. >10K? Unlikely. It's also safe to say that the Scheu is by no means a lesser table - just different, particularly in the bearing design. I have seen one reference to someone selling a Verdier in favor of the Scheu.
Jean, here's your answer, posted on the Vinyl Asylum.

Posted by hifidaddy (A) on November 02, 2001 at 06:44:27
In Reply to: Ohhhh, now I see *through* what all the Teres fuss is about! posted by marc g. on October 31, 2001 at 23:41:00:
Folks,
it is very likely that the Teres or Repoint is better than a VPI TNT or Basis or whatever. I compared the original standard Scheu (2 inch acrylic platter) to the Platine Verdier 4 years ago and then sold my Verdier. After ringing the bell on Joelist or Analogue Addicts List and so on Audio Advancement became importer of Scheu turntable to the USA and the Teres group was launched.
------------------------------------------------------------
Also Jean, there are other posts on the Vinyl Asylum that state the the Teres also bettered the VPI TNT MK4 and the guy sold his TNT and said he is a "very happy Teres owner". The Verdier is a fine turntable and you may prefer yours to the Teres, I don't know, but the fact that Teres is compared, sometimes favorably, to Verdier, TNT, Basis, puts it in the same league of these world class turntables.The difference is that regular people can now get that kind of world class performance for a much more affordable price. There is even a post in the Vinyl Asylum where a guy improved the sound of his Verdier by using a Teres motor and controller. There are several posts where Linn LP12 owners have sold their Linns and bought Teres and raved about what an improvement the Teres was. There was one post where a guy had a Verdier and he said he thought the Teres was very good but he still kept his Verdier. If you only had $2k to spend and you found out you could get the performance level of a $6k-12k table for $1350, what would you do? I know what I'm going to do.