Synergistic Research HFT + FEQ

I heard this tweak at RMAF and brought it home on a 30-day free trial. Unfortunately it turned out to be a real system killer. I had 20 of the HFTs and tried them with and without the FEQ, using a ladder to put them up and take them down repeatedly. I couldn't believe how awful it was. Made it hard to enjoy my otherwise excellent ~$45k system.

I had a similar experience with their Quantum fuse. Never did trust anything with "Quantum" in the title. HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses, on the other hand, made my amps sound significantly better.
128x128augwest
Placement of these little devices can change the tonal qualities. If you place them too high they do seem to accent more of the higher frequencies.

Except for a few places in the room, the majority of mine are placed either at speaker height or near the floor level at the middle and behind subs and speakers.

I also have many placed on equipment. The speaker placement was ok and on most of my digital equipment there is an improvement. But, not so good on other equipment such as Amp or Preamp.
I now have 15 of the SR, 15 of the Audio Magic, and about 30 of my DIY versions.

I would rate the Audio Magic the best, with my DIY versions second and then the SR's. Again, I think it is because of the copper.
Sabai, Not yet.
Better still I'll explain how I made them.
I'm using 1/8"copper pipe caps with a copper cone inserted inside. I bought the cones from a fishing lure company. It has the right tapering and the right opening inside.
Now, Audio Magic uses a crystal inside the cone, mine does not. But, I might experiment further.
Hi Ozzy,

Thanks for this information. Very creative. I'd like to try this out myself. If you don't mind, please let me know the diameter and the length of copper pipe you use for each segment. Also, do you have a link or specs for the copper cones? Thank you.
For all you DIY's. I have received many emails to make these items. They are quite simple to make.

I used 1/8" copper caps with a large copper cone from a company called "Hareline" inside. Hareline makes items for fishing lures and can be bought from Amazon.

The caps however, will need to be purchased from a plumbing house. Then just simply glue the cone inside the cap. The cone is a direct drop in. I used Elmer's school glue to seal the cone inside the cap.

Audio Magic also places a crystal in the middle of there "Bells". I suppose you could use (Blu Tack)to hold a crystal in the cap before gluing the cone in it.
Personally I don't think its necessary.

When you place the cones (I used blue tack) on the wall or the equipment, place them in the middle first with one at the height of your speaker, then near the floor and perhaps one up high. If you go to high with them it may accent the higher frequencies. But do experiment.

The others were placed at the first and second reflection points on the side walls.

At the wall behind you, I placed them again in the middle, at floor level, mid and high.

Then from there you can experiment through your room and equipment. Some places they worked good and some not so good.

I must add that I also own the SR FEQ unit which is supposed to excite these things.