Running balanced. Difference between XLR vs. RCA.

Would like to know the difference, if any, in running an amplifier, or preamp, in a balanced mode with XLR connectors or running balanced with RCA connectors. Is there any benefitial difference between the two if the runs are kept at 1 meter. I have an amp and preamp that can run balanced with either.
128x128joysjane
I recently converted my long time ICs to balanced operation. Other than the increased gain noted above, the sound was the same. IMO, if you have a noise/RF problem, and 'true balanced' equipment,then balanced cables should be explored. Otherwise, relax and enjoy your SE
gear.
If SE CKT, using RCA or XLR IC would make difference. But for balanced CKT, XLR will benefit from more gain, CMRR, .... CMRR is more the power supply related, a better power supply will help also. Lower RF noise will help both SE and BL, but not make SE the same as BL.
The only way to find out what sounds better is to try both and use what works best for you as all systems are not alike! Alot will say balanced is better but if your eq. is not true balanced as stated above then balanced may not improve over single end IC. Most systems that are true balanced do sound better with balanced IC, And I mean most systems do but some don't. Happy Listening!
IME, I have either heard no differences with balanced lines (1m) or single-ended sounded better. Now if you are running 10m cables there may be an improvement.
Guys, thanks for your input. I'm going to go ahead and try the XLR's first and see if I like the results. Those W-10's are just amazing. They really brought my speakers to life. I'm on the path to the next level... Yea!