The Big Boys vs. the Little Guys

Time for another cable thread. We all know who the big boys on the block are with cables: Nordost, Transparent, Monster *cough*, Cardas, Siltech, Kimber ... and others.

Then there are cables made by the "little guys" -- guys who design and hand-make their own cables ... like Randy Bear of Bear Labs, USA, and Jaap Gunter of Lieder Cables, in The Netherlands ... and I'm sure there are others ... like Granite Audio.

What do you think of the big boys vs. the little guys in terms of quality and VALUE? I know it's hard -- even a little stupid (hey, I can be like that!) to lump the large companies together and compare them against the small companies ... but I wonder if we can find a "golden thread" here and find some appropriate generalizations.

I'll weigh in with my own comments, based of course on my own experience, later ... first, I'd like to hear about your experiences. Thanks for your input!
paul_frumkin
Yes, the Stage III look pretty interesting. Would love to demo them sometime. But I do not consider a product line price range of $700 to a high of $4500 for an 8 foot pair of speaker cables a cheaper alternative to Nordost.
You guys should check out the Emperor series interconnects or the Monument series. The Emperor are sooooo good for the money its unreal, the monument are better but at a cost of course :)

I cannot swing their big speaker cables but I can tell you that for the money the affordable Stage 3 cables are a tough act to follow. They are just quality, plain and simple.

Chris
Bowbow, I have been purchasing Tice interconnects. George Tice is selling them direct at a BIG discount. I purchased two-1.5m pairs for $137.50 per pair. It's a *very* good interconnect. I wish I could afford a few more pairs...
I just made DIY silver speaker cables in teflon tubing, twisted every three inches and taped with an unusual method on each twist (the twist can't move). I used pure dead soft 16ga. silver from Hoover & Strong and I can't believe what I am hearing. They are simply unbelievable.

Bob Crump gave me feedback on how to construct these cables and I must say, I am blown away. I have taken them out and have them cooking per Bob's advice to see f there is a discernable difference. But if they are any better after cooking, it will just be icing on the cake.

And Chris, I am looking for a used Berning ZH270 after the "shoot-out" thread. And I appreciate your email about your upcoming plans for the next one. I am anxious to hear about the Berning, Atma-Sphere shoot-out.

Aloha,

Warren
Aloha Warren, I am anxious as well to hear the Atmaspheres along side the Berning. I will keep you posted :)

Chris