Phono preamp advice.

Hi all, I am a new convert to the beauties of LPs. I recently got a MMF7 TT and a Phonomena phonopre. Reading some of the posts here I have noticed that some "in-the'know" folks mention that the phonopre is pretty important. I am meditating a move to the Audio Research PH line and am wondering whether it would be a significant upgrade from my Phonomena. The rest of my gear is a Pass X1 pre to Brystons 7bsst. Feeding B&W 802 S3s. I was hoping for something under 2K if possible. I listen, mostly, to classical and jazz. Any other phonopre recommendations would be welcomed also.
Although I do listen to CDs I am a bit amazed at the musicality I hear from analog.
Thank you.
lachobba
You should look into the Hagerman Trumpet. Check out Jim's website www.hagtech.com (I think). I own one and it is simply unbelievable.
I'm not sure, but you might be considering spending more than you should for your TT and cartridge. I'm not sure if it makes too much sense to upgrade the phono stage, when the money might be better spent on upgrading the TT, arm, and cartridge instead? Maybe others can chime in on that subject??
There is, or was, on Audiogon, an EAR 834P with extra tubes for a very good price--under $800. I have one and prefer it to an AHT DM-P phono preamp that cost more than three times as much retail. IMHO you couldn't go wrong with this choice, and could easily resell it for more if necessary.
I have a Phenomena with the BPS that I was using with a Teres 265/Graham 2.2/Lyra Helikon set up. I moved "up" to a Tom Evans Groove about a month ago. To be honest I don't hear any difference or improvement and the Tom Evans gets pretty good reveiws from all that use it. The point is I think that the Phenomena is way under rated. If you don't have the BPS, you might consider getting that instead of a new phono pre.
I'm unfamiliar with the Phonomena but I agree with PhilD. That TT (arm? cart?) is well below the rest of your system.

The best phono stage in the world won't improve a signal that isn't reaching it in the first place. Upgrading your source first helps control results and - very important - the cartridge may determine which phono stage to choose. Choosing a phono stage first often limits your cartridge selections.