Clueless and Seeking advice on TT purchase

Hi All:
I need a turntable without breaking the bank. Range about $1,200 - 2,000. Must admit I've lost track (actually I was never on track) of what is what in this price range and I've been so busy I can't spend that much time checking it out so I seek your advice. I see several units out there.

Basis 1400

Oracle MKII

The good news is that it is going in a system that is almost all diy by yours truly so it won't make that much difference anyway! I'm using my proprietary zip-cord for interconnects.

Thanks in Advance

Sincerely
I remain,
clueless
Jee,you sound clueless!
If I had only the 1 choice out of the Basis or the Oracle,I would pick the Oracle.
In that price range,if I had 6 choices I would pick the Oracle.
You can always upgrade the table or mod.the Rega arm later.
I hope this makes you less clueless. :~)
I was in your same boat about a year ago.
I started out with the Basis 1400, w/RB300 arm.
It is a great entry level table. (Actually it is a step up from entry level, IMHO.)

I recommend finding a used one however, as the new prices of the Basis line is rather expensive. (I also recommend buying used because you will avoid the hefty dealer markup, and won't lose as much if you decide that vinyl is not for you. It is an acquired taste. I love it myself.)

I upgraded to the Basis 2001, w/RB900 arm and am quite satisfied with the sound.

Now I am looking for a better preamp, w/phono stage. (Will the quest for better sound never end?)

PS Don't forget that you will need to buy a cartridge and a phono stage, unless your preamp has one (doubtful, unless it is an older model.) I started with a Benz Micro Glider II (Good starter cartridge), and an used ARC PH-3.
My total outlay was $1,000 for the used table and arm; $800 for the new Glider cartridge and $850 for the used PH-3. Total cost = $2,650. You could probably find a more entry level cartridge and phono stage to bring you back into your budget constraints.

Good luck in your search!
Check out the VPI Scout, This falls in the price range you mentioned and I feel this is one of the best in the industry.
Dave
Hey Craig, one of my friends has a VPI scout. I don't know much about the T, but I do know that his setup sounds awesome for the money and it falls right in your price range.
I agree,the Scout is a steal at some of the used prices..thats my recmmendation to you.I didnt think of the Scout/Robin arm before.
Still Cluelss?