Buying Hi-End CD Player or Transport..

I'm looking to buy a new CD Player to my Home Theater/ Music System. I have narrowed down to 3 choices:
1. YBA CD1 (Solid State)
2. Balanced Audio Technology BAT VK-D5 (Tube CD Player)
3. Sonic Forntiers SFCD-1 (Tube CD Player)
4. Forsell Reference Transport.

Here is my current system.
Preamp: BAT VK-5i (Tube)
Processor: EAD TM-Signature
Power Amp: Jeff Rowland Model 5
Speaker: B& W Matrix 802 S3

Which would be the best way to go. adding transport or cd player. If buying the transport, I'll use EAD Signature as a DAC. If buying cd player, which one is the best.

Your comment would be very appreciated.
Supakit S.
supakit
We have had the opportunity to have many of the players mentioned here at the showroom for a shoot out recently.

First let me state that the Audio Aero ($6000) will not be better direct than going through your Bat preamp. At first it will strike you has more dynamic with greater transparency but it will lose the three dimensional air and the finesse. Many Audiophiles who go the direct route without a preamp and then put in a really good preamp end up purchasing a preamp. As so many things in audio this is a flavor issue but since you have a very good preamp if you buy a player with volume controls try it for a month direct and then put your preamp back in - - if you still like it direct then sell it.

The 2 CD players not mentioned to date that are very good are the Sim Eclipse($5200) and the Electrocompaniet EMC 1 with 24/192 upgrade.($5000)

Of all the players mentioned the player with the most delicacy and finesse is the Mephesito 2($7500) which is my personal favorite. But recently since the EMC 1 has been upgraded every customer who has come to the showroom has liked the EMC 1 better it is more dynamic with greater extension top to bottom - - I believe that is due to the mass of the player 50 lbs and the 18 lb floating platter.

The Audio Aero and the EMC 1 sound very close to each other I would give the EMC 1 the nod on price, build quality, and bottom end extension, and it has no volume control which I see as a positive. If you desire to go direct then the Audio Aero is the choice.

The Eclipse is the only one of all these players with a great remote. If all the other companies would copy Sim they could all improve their remotes. The aesthetics are as spectacular as the Mephesito 2 although sonically it was as good as the EMC 1 until the new upgrade. Realize the regular EMC 1 is a great player but not as good as the other mentioned players although better than the Levinson 39 previously mentioned. Just newer technology and that is everything with digital.

All these players are superior sounding to the Levinson 39 that is why there is now a $1500 upgrade to the Levinson player.

I hope this helps and do not forget the Accuphase 75 V ($11000) and 65V($6500)we have not had the models in here to compare but Accuphase is usually a very impressive product with volume controls although I personally still prefer the units going through a great preamp like the First Sound preamps.

I hope this helps. But you cannot go wrong with any of the players mentioned. Digital is a great value today. Hell Alchemist from Northern London has just come out with their 24/192 Product 8 one box player and it is very close to all the above mentioned players for a retail of only $2400 and it is gorgeous.
I agree with Tacs!
I use the EAD T-7000 transport as my front end of a VERY, VERY expensive system, and am very happy. Over the years, I have upgraded every other part of my system except the EAD. It was a true bargain even at its new price.
Richard
I agree with Jtinn about buying Levinson right now. The old No.39 is over priced (even used) when you consider the design is so far behind the current generation of newer players. IMHO, digital technology improvements are significant and new chips and designs have a bigger impact on digital electronics vs amps and preamps whose underlying techology hasn't changed in decades. So even a modestly priced CD player or DAC using current generation technology will likey out perform that megabuck unit that is several years old, believe it or not! My 2 cents....
You may wish to include the new Electrocompaniet EMC-1 MkII with 24/192 DAC in your comparisons. I'm becoming quite enthralled as mine burns in. Good luck.