Audio Aero Capital CD vs SACD

Has anybody compared the Audio Aero Capital CD vs SACD and more than a couple of cd's demo.Thanks
jcb2000
Thanks Mike, very informative. I too have always loved the CD-12 but, as you note, at $6900 vs. $20,000, this says a lot not only for how far even 16/44.1 digital has come but for the Capitole as well. If they are that close in your system, I am looking forward to hearing the Capitole.
Mike-I am very surprised with your comments, though the Linn is one of the few greats that I haven't listened too. In particular with the SACD I noticed the opposite, it didn't have anything on the Capitole. Though it is possible the Valhalla is a little more nuetrel then the Jena(we used Valkyre) thus leading to your thoughts. It is interesting to hear this from another discerning listener, just so I know was the capitole broken in? I know when my friend got his he was ready to send it back, but he didn't and really warmed as it broke in, giving it the analog sound-to me anyway, keep in mind I have not listened to near as much vinyl as you guys seeing as I have never owned a turntable. FWIW the capitole was also used in my friends system with Tenor amps, and the volume on the amps sounds different then the volume on the player, it was hard for us to say which sounded better, I am sure time will tell.
Tim
Tim, with all due respect to the Capitole (i guess i was misspelling it, sorry), any sacd player with a sufficiently high quality output stage should better any cd player, assuming other issues are equalized. how many sacd players have a sufficiently high-quality output stage?....possibly not man (i do think the SA-1 qualifies). the additional resolution of sacd, taken proper advantage of, wins every time.

the wild card here is the volume control and gain stage of the Capitole. if you love what it does, it may "add" something that you may prefer over whatever the sacd player you are comparing it to does. but this sacd player will be most likely going thru a preamp of some sort and add the signature of that preamp. so now you are comparing the relative performance of these preamps. personally, i believe the volume control and gain stage of the Capitole slightly colors the sound compared to my reference; which is "no" preamp (active gain stage). many prefer an active gain stage, and they may not agree with my preference. unless you can isolate the gain stage from the Capitole you will not know what and why definitively.

comparing the volume performance of the Audio Aero Capitole 192/24 with the Placette RVC in my setup made it clear to me that the Placette was the more neutral performer. whether that is preferable in all systems would be a matter of taste....."can you handle the truth?"

the Capitole used in this comparison is owned by an Audio Aero dealer, is the latest version, and fully broken in. i would be surprised if your friend with the Tenors is not familiar with the dealer involved here.
Patricku: If you are talking about the Audio Aero SACD Player, I would be surprised if it released this year. Certainly nothing until September.

Mikelavigne: Thanks again for your hospitality. Next time I will take you up on the ice cream :)

As far as what was heard, I will not give my opinion as I am too involved with Audio Aero. I think your take on what we heard is very accurate in terms of how close both players were. You preferred the CD-12 by a very slight margin while Dale preferred the Audio Aero Capitole slightly. I think if there were 10 people in the room, 5 might agree with you and 5 might agree with Dale. Definitely not as clear a difference as when we went to vinyl. WOW!!!!!

I also want to point out that there are many renditions of the CD-12 and Mike's is the most current. Older units do not hold a candle to the newer units.

Guys I tell you until you have heard Mikelavigne's system, you may have never heard what great audio reproduction is all about. The system is incredible!