Morch DP6 and vertical damping - pros & cons??

I am setting up my tonearm, a Morch DP6. The instructions that come with it tell you how to add the included silicone fluid for vertical damping (at the pivot point) but also mention that this might not be a good thing to do (can't remember the exact wording.) The instructions do not say why you might not want to add the fluid to the pivot point. Can anyone tell me why or why not the vertical damping should be used? Does it effect the sonics in a possibly negative way, or....? I will be using the arm on a Teres 160 turntable with the basic ZYX cartridge, R100H.

Once the fluid is in there, it looks as if it would be nearly impossible to remove, so I would like to make an informed decision about whether or not I should use it.

Thanks,

Holly
oakiris
Hey,Larry!Nice to see a post from you.You have always come across,to me,as a likeable guy.Just wanted to let you know,I am FINALLY getting my COSMOS back this Tuesday.Added a Symposium Ultra Shelf,as a gift for my table.Whew,I've got a ton of interesting lp finds to explore.Hope all is OK with you.

PS. My pal YODA,shockingly,has decided to replace his Air Tangent,with the new 12.6 VPI arm.Also,he's getting a new VPI TNT 6 hot rod.He claims that the maintenance of the Air Tangent is becoming too much to deal with,as he is now getting a bit long in the tooth,and losing patience with the fotzing around necessary for cleaning out desecant from mechanisms involved.The pump is also getting noisy,and new desecant(whatever that is)costs 200 bucks.

I hope to God he does not lose the MAJESTIC ambience afforded by the air bearing,but understand the ergonomic decision made.I'm going over to his "Record Collection"(I'd say house,but,it IS literally just one HUGE record collection,behind closed walls)a week or 2 after installation.We'll see if new designs can compete with such a "Classic"!!
Hi Sirspeedy,
Good to hear from you and glad to hear that you are finally getting your TT back.
I had a Symposium Ultra that I used under my CDP and it killed the sound. I have no idea how it will do under a TT.
I would definitely recommend that you get a set of Symposium Rollerblocks to use with the Ultra and see what results you get. The Rollerblocks come up used on Audiogon fairly often, but you have to be quick, they go fast.
If the Rollerblocks don't do well under your TT, I can almost guarantee that they will help either your CDP (if you have one), pre-amp or amp. They are one of the best add-ons to my system. In fact if you get a pair on don't like them, I will buy them from you for up to $ 250.00 as set.
Let us know how your TT sounds with and without the Symposium Ultra shelf.
Rgds,
Larry

SirSpeedy, is your pal YODA interested in selling his Air Tangent (if he hasn't already)?
I have a Morch UP-4 and I don't use any damping at all.
I found that getting the tracking force dialed in correctly
kinda by trial and error proved to make a huge difference.
Timely thread for me. I'm in the process of buying a new TT and arm. And by coincedence, I'm getting a Teres 265 with a Morch DP6 (with the 12" wand). Thanks to all for the information.