Tubed cdp that can be hooked up to amp directly.

I'm looking for a tubed cdp that I can hook up directly to my amp (BelCanto 200.2). The dealer I've spoken to mentioned that while some cdp offer volume control that allows for this, the sound quality/loss of information is usually coupled. I'm not sure if he's referring to all cdp (we were looking at the Shanling), or just that one in particular. Does anyone have any experience with this and also which tubed cdp would you recommend for this configuration. I'm looking for something $2,000.00 or less (new or used) with emphasis on warmth, tranparency, detail, with sweet upper mid-hi.

Thanks

Mike
mhu
Look into an Audio Aero Capitole mkI you may be able to get one close to your price range and it is a great player. I have no experience with the Shanling but they do like nice.
I would recommend against doing that. Yes, with CDPs with volume control, you can plug it straight into a power amp and be able to control the volume, but it just sounds flat. From a purist point of view, you would think that the signal path is more direct by bypassing the preamp stage so sound quality should be better, right? Wrong! The preamp does much more than just switching between sources and controlling the volume.
I am going to have to disagree with lohkkw@tm.net.my with players that use a digital volume control it would be better, how ever those players that use analog volume control(even SS, not just tubed units) it has ALWAYS been better. I have tried it in a few different systems with a few different cd players and it is impossible to regain the transparency when running through a preamp- you may gain a little body and weight(even that is debatable) but everything else is just more "color" which some people like.