Where have all the protest songs gone?

In light of all the problems the world faces today it occured to me that no one in the folk scene or heaven forbid the rock world are writing songs about war,famine,and you can fill in whatever ills you please into the garbage heap.Has the music arts become so safe and sterile and corporate that no one can hear their still small voice and raise it?
brucegel
Well, we're about to go to war and the President has asked everybody to keep shopping in the name of national security in order to pay for the effort. Everybody is at the mall shopping doing their damnest to do their duty.

The answer my friend is strolling in the mall...
The answer is strolling in the mall...

blah, blah, blah
I remain,
Steve Earle can throw together a pretty good protest song. Not exactly mainstream, but I recommend you give him a listen.
U2 seems to have an opinion about everything. It'll come out shortly. Maybe Alec Baldwin will cut a few tracks.
two words: BEN HARPER. Check out "fight for your mind," "welcome to the cruel world" and "the will to live." listened to the first title for the first time in awhile last night--brilliant.
Give Natalie Merchant's Motherland a spin if you crave some not-too-happy-about-it social commentary.