Suggestions for Maggie replacements.

Hi
My friend who has Maggie MG 12 AR (which he bought partly on my recommendation) now has to replace them due to WAF, needs something smaller at least than MG12, I suggested Vandersteen but the look ie black socks not acceptable.

Want to get suggestions on good used speakers in the $600-$700 range (monitor and booshelf is fine) that sound good (he know he cannot get the maggie sound) but also look good. He like Thiel, Totem and some of B&W speakers looks.

Shriram
shriramosu
Check out diva by swans a think they are a great looking little speaker, many here feel they are a great value(sound wise) as well. They seem to have a good WAF as well. I believe AV123.com sells them-they are only available online. On the audiogon home page just search diva and they will come up. Happy hunting
~Tim
Reviewer Dick Olsher is a speaker designer, but his reviewer status gets in the way of his promoting his products. His speakers are sold under the brand "Samadhi Acoustics"; see www.blackdahlia.com.

Dick and his wife Lesley collaborated on a little speaker called the "Magic Cube". I would be a dealer for Samadhi and sell this speaker (which retails for $1395), except that you can order it factory-direct for dealer cost ($695). I would feel like I was taking advantage of people to try to charge them more than the $695 that's only a mouseclick or two away, so I don't sell 'em.

The Magic Cube excels at human voice and at creating the feeling of a live musical event.

Here is where you'll find the $695/pair factory direct price: http://store.hifiauthority.com/speakers.html.

Shriram, I think this is a speaker that can make your friend and his wife very happy.

Best wishes.
Try the Bohlender Graebener Radia X3's. They're ribbons and lightning fast, so he'll get much if not more than he got from the Maggies in terms of dynamics. They're also great looking speakers (especially in Cherry) with a more traditional footprint that the Maggies. High WAF!! List price is something like $3,000 but I bought a "new in box" pair on Ebay for $700 inclusive of shipping from Hawaii.
Take a look at the Meadowlark Kestral. You probably won't find the "hot rod" version for that price, but the "stock" version can be had in the $600 range. They're beautiful to look at (most are finished in rosewood), have a very small (WAF friendly) foot print and sound terrific.