Talon Khorus x or B&W 802

whats best,talon khorus x or b&w 802,for jeff rowland 10 thanks
alesantin
...Sorry to ask the question inside this discussion but I'd also like to hear openions on how Khorus or Khorus X sounds on different loudness levels. What is the best loudness level for Khorus? How these speakers sound in low volume levels?
Mike- Prior to forming Talon, Mr.Budge sold a two Khorus
using Focal drivers. About the same shape, different cabinet materials. Mine are finished in Koa.

Why would a an owner of a $14K Khorus w/X crossovers "upgrade" to the $7K Ravens?

Aloha.
Kana813...Ahhh, understood. I always forget that Tierry was doing loudspeaker design long before Talon existed.

To answer your second question...The original Khorus w/X crossover upgrade is NOT the equal of the Khorus X. There are more changes to the Khorus X from the original Khorus than just the crossover. With that said, the Raven (at least to my ears) is a better speaker than the original Khrous w/X crossover upgrade.

Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio
Dave (Makofkalaw)...I am a bass, dynamic range, and musicallity addict; the Edge, Sim, and EMC simply give me my "fix" better than any other combination that I have tried with Talon. In addition, this combo has a really liquid and lush mid-frequency presentation. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, the Shanling CD-T100 running direct into the Belles 350A might just take the top spot ;-) The Belles is also incredible with the EMC-1 and Simaudio. Although I prefer the Belles 20A preamp to the Sim with the 350A.

BTW: Thanks for the kind words ;-)

Marakanetz...All of the Talon speakers sound great with low or high loudness levels. At the lower levels, you do lose some of the dynamics and small micro-details, but not to any large degree. With that said, the Talon line plays louder while still retaining the EXACT qualities at low volume levels, than any other speaker I have heard. In fact, when you first spend some lengthy time with Talon speakers, you have to be very careful because you will find yourself listening at louder levels than with other lines. The biggest reason for this is the extremely low distortion present in the Talon design. My dad and I have thrown EVERYTHING you can think of at the Talons and they have NEVER lost their composure. Usually, we end up clipping amps most of the time and I still don't think we are any where near the limits of the Talons.

I can remember when we got our first pair of the original Khorus some time ago and to break them in we would turn the volume to max and go outside for the day. The Khorus' NEVER even batted an eyelash. It was pretty funny actually because it seemed like the entire showroom was moving from the outside. We also had to wear firearm ear protection to go inside and turn it down and it was also pretty warm inside the listening room ;-)

The things we will do in this hobby ;-)