Vandersteen question

It's time to upgrade my speakers. I'm very impressed by the Vandersteen 3A Sig. but am concerned that I don't have enough power. I just got a pair of Quicksilver MiniMite monoblock tube amps that are 25 watts/channel matched with the Eastern Electric MiniMax preamp (20 db gain). Presently I've got Klipsch Heresys that are very efficient at 96db/1watt. I can barely turn the volume past the 9 o'clock position before the sound gets to ear bleeding levels.

My question relates to the active preamp with 20 db of gain. I believe there's a formula that everytime you double the wattage, this increases the SPL by 3 db. With this in mind, 20 db of gain in the preamp would equate to an amp having 6 2/3 times the wattage or 166 watts/channel matched with a passive preamp in my case.

I notice that Vandersteen recommends 100 to 200 W/ch with the 3A Sig while the 2Ce Sig recommends 40 to 60 W/ch. I find this confusing considering that the 3A is more efficient at 87db. The 2Ce is rated at 86db.

Vandy fans - Please enlighten me. Thanks.
mootsdude
Don't know much about the issue you are dealing with. But before you get them. Make sure your room is large enough. First order crossovers need some distance between you and the speakers for them to integrate correctly. I have had 1Bs for more than ten years and have not had the urge to upgrade. Great speakers. Just my two cents.
Room size with the 3As is more a matter of giving them room to "breathe". I listen nearfield with mine and have no problems with integration. However, they do better in larger rooms so they don't over load it or run into bass problems. (Any full range speaker will have this room problem, just to be clear.)
Mikej- You cant listen nearfield with the 3A's and still get a time and phase accurate signal. The signal comes together at a point 8 feet from the acoustical center of the speaker.

Will
mootsdude-

I would say that 25 watts might not be enough depending on room size and your listening habits.
25 watts of power can play fairly loud, but you should try and take the amp to a Vandersteen dealer ahead of time so you can see if it sounds to your liking. Pairing a 2Wq subwoofer up with the 3A Signature might make the 25w usable...

Like someone else mentioned- call Vandersteen Audio and ask the man himself...

Will
mootsdude-

One more comment- sorry everyone for the triple post :)

I once used Klipshorns and LaScalas.
You will not regret switching to Vandersteen.
I loved the sounds from Klipsch speakers for a couple years, and then I couldn't listen to them anymore.. I realized that they were fatiguing me and I wasn't really even grasping that for a while.
Switching to the Vandersteens, I have never gotten listening fatigue, and I really enjoy music so much more, and hear so much more.
I hope that just because your amplifier might not mate with Vandersteens that you do not abandon seeking out the 3A Signature.
It will grow on you- it is an amazing speaker

Will