Donald Byrd

I recall reading a thread written by a young man who came into possession of a large collection of Donald Byrd records under very sad circumstances, his father had passed.

Although he was sad, he shared with us how incredible this new music was that he had inherited. He renewed my enthusiasm for Donald Byrd. Me and Donald go back a long way, all the way back to my beginning as a jazz fan. I consider him one of the "giants of jazz", and I bet even the Rok will agree on that.

True jazz giants continually evolve, and Donald's evolution is well established in my collection. He began with "hard bop", and next was "A New Perspective/ Donald Byrd band and voices", this was a big hit at that time. Although I liked every cut on that LP, "Christo Redentor" was my favorite.

Donald Byrd & the Blackbirds was his next stage of evolution. This time he featured a vocal group called "The Blackbirds" with his band. At this stage of his evolution, many of his long time fans revolted, "How dare he ruin pure jazz with a vocal group". I was one of them. After I expressed my indignation by selling the LP I had just purchased, I came around to liking it and couldn't find a new copy, but I'm human and that's the way it goes.

This is my list of samplers for Byrd's various stages of evolution that can be found on "youtube". "Fuego" is not only my example of Donald Byrd's "hard bop", it is the personification of "hard bop". "Byrd In Hand" featuring Pepper Adams on baritone sax is another favorite of mine. I especially like the cut "Here Am I", Pepper Adams really cooks on that baritone. While Gerry Mulligan is very well known, and considered by many to be the best jazz baritone, Pepper Adams also ranks very high in my book. "Street Lady" by Byrd was an album I wore out. "Donald Byrd & the Blackbirds" was the LP I didn't like initially, sold it, and then couldn't find a new copy when I decided it belonged in my collection.

Just as a food critic must sample many dishes to determine which one's he thinks are best, an audiophile has to sample many records and CD's to determine which one's belong in his collection. Maybe after sampling, you will determine some of this music belongs in your collection.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
This weekend:

Oscar Peterson - Night Train
I bought this just for the title track, but have since discovered that this ia wonderful disc from start to finish. Not a weak track on the disc. 5 star!!

James Booker - Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah
This guy is supposed to be crazy, for real. This is one of those strange wonderful players from New Orleans. The recording captures the ambience of the club very well. Solo piano, so a good test for all those uber-alles systems out there.

Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball's Bosa Nova
Cannonball playing with players from Brazil. very nice on the ears, like all music of this type. The tunes by Jobim and Mendes are the highlights. None of the usual quintet appear.

Etta James & "cleanhead" Vinson - The Late Show
Great blues set recorded live at a club in LA. Etta passed away this year. Her blues singing was the 'real' thing.

Beethoven - 9th Symphony
Bohm / Vienna and Norman,Domingo,Fassbaender,Berry
with a lineup like that, perfection is within reach. It's very slow and the singing is great. You hear everything. In the same class of recording as Kleiber's 5&7. My favorite 9th of all time.

I only have one by Yusef Lateef. Titled 'Encounters'. I listened to it because you mentioned him. I have a lot more of him on LP. I think he is another one that evolved into into a player that sort of left me behind. Not bad, just does not keep me involved. I think he was one of the first into 'world' music. Plays a lot of different instruments also. I think I have him as a member of the cannonball quintet, "Dizzy's Business". Great album. Live in Tokyo.
Thanks for your post.
Cheers
Donald Byrd R.I.P

He died on Feb 4 2013. Great musician,trumpeter, educator,producer, composer, arranger and bandleader!
Bummer. Sad to hear that he's gone on to play in heaven. The first thing I ever heard by him was 'Flight Time' back in '73, and I loved that jam. Since then my tastes in jazz have changed to straight-ahead jazz...I then re-discovered his earlier recordings and fell in love with his work all over again. 'Fuego' and 'BlackJack' are my two favorite Donald Byrd albums.
RIP Donald, you will be missed.
Yes, I`ll miss him but happy to have his recordings to play and enjoy his talent.
Regards,
I much enjoyed reading this thread right now. I have to agree with all said. Donald and others before him live on in our minds and hearts and in our living rooms.
Thanks for the memories.