New speaker with imaging

I have a pair of B&W matrix 804's, original owner and about 12 years old. I like how they sound with timbre and dynamics. I have a high current amp. I mainly listen to orchestra. I would like something with better imaging and less as a point source. I want the B&W sound however with imaging that spreads about 6-10 feet wide at my listening position about 8-10 feet away. Can I get it for under 10 grand? My short list includes Legacy Focus and Von Schweikert VR4-jr or VR4.
drjjpdc
It is my opinion that you would be far better off to look into speaker placement and room treatment before seeking to replace your speakers. If you feel that your room and placement are optimum, by all means then look for the better product.
I am a member of N.E.W.A.S. (Northeast Wisconsin Audiophile Society) and as such, have had the pleasure of visiting a number of different system setups of our other members. Some, I have been able to watch over a longer period of time. Within my own system as well as other member's system, I have heard major changes in sound just relating to placement of the speakers. I have listened to what some may call modest systems develop very good sound with great imaging, a well anchored soundstage, and an balanced frequency response, just through room treatment.
This experience is what prompts me to make the recommendation that I have. I can understand change. It is nice to have something new. I guess you will have to do what pleases you the most.
For orchestral music try a line source or an electrostatic type speaker. Ones that come to mind are Martin Logan, Quad and Wisdom Audio. Depending on your price range.
If you like the B&W sound you have now, by all means, stick with that line. As suggested above, the 803D would be a substantially improvement over what you have now. And at 8K with a discount, you'll be doing alot better than your budget of 10K. And you'll have a speaker that you will hopefully enjoy for quite some time, and also have great resale if you decide to sell.
Here is an Audiogon discussion link where there are many good recommendations on speakers that image.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1053643146&read&keyw&zzlegend