That "tube sound" and power ratings

This might be a newbie question since I've only begun researching tube technology. I understand to some degree the theory that tube sound is partly related to second harmonic distortion vs. the more prevalent odd order harmonic characteristics of SS. If "tubies" prefer that sound (I might be one of them), does it make sense to carefully match an amplifier's power rating such that it is NOT TOO HIGH for the speakers it's driving? If the rating is too high won't that mean lower distortion and hence less tube sound for a given volume for those speakers than a lower power tube amp (in general that is - I realize not all Watts are the same). So won't a high wattage tube amp have less of the special tube sound "tubies" like at their preferred listening volume?

I realize I'm likely missing something here. Set me straight!
hazyj
Hazy,

I don't understand why you are tying this question to optimal power levels. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

If it is the purest tube sound that you seek, that's probably the best tube amp design with the fewest tubes, like some very expensive sets. The best tube amp design is the one with the most linear gain, lowest associated distortion levels, and lowest noise floor. The more tubes involved, most likely the harder it will be to achieve the absolute best performance in this regard. Decide how you will determine those things, then after that, factor in how it will perform with given pair of speakers, which does have everything to do with power levels, and I think that's about it.
Thanks Mapman. Great response, but is it really true that "that's about it"? Maybe it is. I'm not so certain which is why I posted the question, and I think the only way to know is to hear your same opinion echoed by enough other tube enthusiasts to make it convincing.

But I wouldn't say it's about "the purest tube sound" that I or anyone else seeks. It's about what makes tube listeners happiest. I'm not sure the purest or cleanest sound does it for everyone, but am ready to be proven wrong.
" I'm not sure the purest or cleanest sound does it for everyone"

Nop doubt about that. Top notch technical performance and what people like best are not always the same thing.

The difference is the first is objective and performance claims can be substantiated by measurements.

The second is completely subjective.

The domain of tube amps and SS amps are different, with some overlap but significantly different paradigms at work. But performance is performance.

For me, I have found the best sounding tube amps I have heard sound mostly like the best performing SS ones. What they both share is very high performance well matched into the system as a whole yielding similarly good results, though each different in design operating within distinct paradigms.
09-23-14: Hazyj
Mulveling - thank you!
Great answer. Does every tube enthusiast agree with this?

LOL! Of course not! You are new to this. You will never find every enthusiast to agree on anything. Tubes, SS, digital, analog, cables, etc.

Mulveling loves high power tube amps, nothing wrong with that. My tube amp is 35 wpc and my speakers are 91 dB, no audible distortion. While I agree that no one wants to push their amp to hard, as distortion will rise quickly as you reach the clipping point. Most amps operate in a range where distortion is not a factor. I know of folks driving less efficient speakers than I have with even less power and loving it.

As Nelson Pass once said, if the first watt doesn't sound great, who wants 200 more watts?
Listen to the amp/speaker combo, and don't worry so much about numbers. I've heard amps with high power and low distortion specs sound horrible. Listen to the music and let your ears decide.