Vandy or Maggy?

What would sound better in a medium sized room with Symphonic
Music, current model Vandy 2's or Maggy 1,7's?
I have a AVA Synergy 450 Amp which has tuneful base and can drive either well.
I've owned Maggy 1.4's , my knock on them was they were not very dynamic and didn't portray depth well, but it was easy to follow the various lines and instruments.
I've heard Vandys but not much and was a long time ago.
Any and all ideas much appreciated !
schubert
No doubt higher quality drivers made under tight tolerance and high quality standards will get you further, pound per pound, wherever they happen to be made. They will also tend to cost a tad more accordingly. That's a big reason I consider Dynaudio a gold standard brand in audio. Totem is similar TTBOMK. One might take to the sound of something else better, but the quality behind the sound is undeniable.
You won't go wrong with most of the suggestions. I only worry about having to integrate a sub with a speaker. You have to use other tools etc... and at that point, I would think getting a full range speaker (or close to it) would be the best choice for you. Less complicated usually works best and that includes more cables etc... i have liked teh Totems I've heard also, but my ear just keeps taking me back to the 'feeling' I get listening to the Vandys. Richard has his tradeoffs when he designs a speaker as all do. For me it's about listening to music and not always critically. I need piano and voice to be natural, while others need bass to be there and dont' care about how controlled it is etc... I also have to have soundstaging as I'm spoiled by my Proacs over the years. Vandy at the various price points will hit these marks (for me) as long as they are with proper amplification (not difficultto drive) and set up correctly (like any system).

Maggies are beautiful, but for me they just don't go low enough, but that's me. If you need fuller range, i'd stick to one that will deliver. List in order the 5 most important traits in a speaker and then go listen and mark down your notes. What speaker has the fewest trade offs. You can listen to us all espouse OUR favorites, but most of us are just telling you how great our ears are and how awesome OUR systems are.

That's not what you should go by. It's your ear and a lot of money. This year is the first time in over 30 years that I"ve sold my systems (three of them) off as I finally wanted new stuff (needed to leave the tube realm and go to remotes too). I have always listened and chosen wisely (for my ear). I listen to others, but make my own decisions and that includes listening to John at Audio Connections, but NOT getting something only because HE likes it. That's why stores have a few lines in each category....I will admit that so far John has been DEAD ON in hearing what I wanted and putting it together. That's rare for me as my old friend in RI, who's store is closed was the only other one who could do that for me. Go to a few places and listen and take notes. IN the end, it's fun and you'll be happy you did. Sorry to go on....
Brownsfan, pretty much have the Sigs dialed in,7 ft apart with me 7.5 ft away in a 20x17 room with plaster walls, ,highly insulated with soundboards in walls, 2 of same in ceiling. Sadly, there are two open arches to the next room at either end of long wall which makes who know what a space out of it.
Toe-in is critical with these pups at that range, dialed in they are like a Zeiss lens , sound for all the world like a single-driver, as well-integrated as speakers get.
Driven by Bryston BP-6 and AVA Synergy 450 . don't use my tube pre's for evaluation as IMO tubes are too much of a variable.
First speaker I've heard that didn't care for my MIT CVT-2 or Analysis oval 12 bi-wires, both of which sounded good on Acoustic Zen Crescendo's which I had in this space for a month. Tells me the crossover in Sigs must be a work of art.I don't have many biwire cables, but my Morrow SP-4 does well, with Kimber 4TC not bad either. My hunch is audience 24e might be the ticket. Too bad I'm just a retired HS teacher.
My usual suspects for evaluation.
Janacek- Glagolitic Mass-Gewandhaus-Masur w/great Prague Radio Choir. Live Recording on Phillips.
Berlioz-Harold in Italie-Colin Davis-LSO
Kodaly-Starker on Delos, Unaccompanined Sonata Cello OP 8.
Most realistic recording I've ever heard .
Respigi-Ancient Airs and Dances-Dorati Philharmonia
Hungarica on Mercury Living Prescence

The savage Janacek has everything on it a band can do, plus choir ,5 soloists incl. the incomprable Theo Adam and the great Czech Soprano V. Hruba.Not to mention organ.
The beyond compare bass section of the Gewandhaus drove the piece forward like a mighty locomotive, the acoustic of the Gewandhaus itself, for me the alpha and omega of halls, was caught very well by the Sigs. With closed eyes very nearly there.Only thing Sigs were not quite up to was the 3 pedal tymps towards the end.All in all a 9 out of ten.
Esp.notable was the way the rhythmic pace of both this piece and the Gewandhaus band itself was reproduced.
Also, audience clapping was very realistic which it is not on most speakers.

The Berlioz I use because it has the most delicate pianissimos of any piece I know of,not to mention it's a great viola piece.
Here the Sigs showed their achilles heel, the VERY f parts required a volume setting that made the fff way too loud.
But, not many standmounts could accomplish this in a room this size and the Berlioz is an extreme example.
To get all the Sigs are capable of I suspect I'd have to move my system to the 2nd 15x12 bedroom I use as a TV room.
A Sony ES receiver driving Rega R1's now reigns there.

The Kodaly is perhaps the best cello sonata since Bach and the Delos recording is magnificent.
Starker was in the room playing for me, end of story.

The Respighi has very natural string tone which the Sigs showed off to great effect.

All in all, the Sigs have outstanding spatial qualities,
coherence, tonality and rhythm, real toe-tappers !
Near perfect for Baroque and Classical Orch.,voice, chamber music, can be caught out some by larger romantic pieces.
All I have to do now is haul out my old Sony changer and run Schubert Lieder through them for a few hundred hours to
erase any bad karma residue in the event previous owner played rock or Wagner on them !
Schubert, I exorcise new houses when I move in--long standing tradition, almost a rite. Bach Johannes-Passion is the first music played, start to finish, then I start unpacking. Never thought to chase bad karma out of new equipment, but surely the Schubert Lieder would be just the thing for that!
Agree on the Kodaly Op 8. Haven't heard the Starker. I had the pleasure of hearing him about 10 years ago. Even at an advanced age, he was something special.
Sounds like the Sigs are going to be keepers. I recently bought a pair of Ref 3A deCapo Be's to build a bedroom system around. I wanted something tube friendly for the bedroom, otherwise, the Totems might have been on my list.

It just amazes me what can be done with small monitors when well executed. Based on what you are telling me, I do hope I will get the chance to give the Ones a try some day.
The key to standmounts is a sub , not to get deeper bass, but to even up room bass response.
I've heard 3a's quite a bit, Totems are better but , as you say, need lots of SS power, my AVA 450 is feeding about 400 a side into those 4 ohm pups, they are leaner with my Odyssey Stratos backup amp, wouldn't even try my 60 watt 6550 .

People who use tubes never went to the store in the 50's and bought a bunch of glorious NEW
RCA 12AX7 for $1.99 and took them home to blossom in their PAS -3, much less those 4 buck Telefunken or Mullards.
Old tubes are just that, OLD, and the Russian and Sino stuff is junk.
That said, I have 3 ten wattish tube integrateds and My Response Audio Bella Extreme 6550.
I find the best for whole house exorcism to be the DG Harnacourt DVD of the St Johns .
Anything by Musica Antiqua Koln is fine for average room.