AMG V12

To those of you who have experience with the AMG V12. Would you be willing to share your experiences with me?

What were some of its most favorite traits that you enjoyed the most?

Was there anything about it that you didn't quite like?

How was it's speed stability?

What table did the V12 replace and/or what has replaced the V12?

Now that the V12's designer has passed away, are you worried about future service or parts, etc?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
no_regrets
I love the fact that Linn provides an upgrade path for the older LP12, but does the path have to be so steep in price. Thousands of Linn LP12 owners have stopped upgrading their table due to Linn’s current upgrade pricing.

The AMG brand is alive and well based on the fact that they have been demoed at more than one high end show in the past 4 months.
Hi Brf,

That is good to hear about the AMG still being alive and well! I hope that they will be represented this April in Chicago at the Axpona show. I love what I've read in their reviews and am hopeful to being able to hear them. I'm also interested in the Spiral Groove tables as well as the Clearaudio Innovation Wood, both of which will be at the Chicago Show…but I'm leaning heavily towards the AMG.

I agree with how you feel about the Linn upgrade path pricing. An affordable option though would to do your upgrading of the Linn LP12 via the Funk Firm's modifications. They are awesome! I believe that they will be in Chicago this April as well.
No-regrets, thanks for sharing the photos, are those Dunlaveys?? Very good looking system and table. I haven't gone that far with mine, I do have mine wrapped in a beautiful cherry with some birds-eye that I just love. But using the pre-SE Ekos, Cirkus, Lingo with the newest motor, Cardas Golden Ref cableing and a Kleos. I do enjoy the table but I suffer from audiophilia-unrest and always want something different.
But I am agreement with you and Brf. Enough is enough. Linns prices for the SE Ekos, Keel etc, are not an investment that will yield equal returns. I see the AMG and see simplicity, style and hear a table and tonearm that exceeds my current table and much less future maintenence. I'm all in and if the money falls in my direction, I will move in that direction.
Hi Theo,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sure your Birdseye Maple looks very beautiful as well.

Oh, you were correct. Those are my Dunlavy SCIV Signatures. I've had them since the mid 90's and love them to death. I can't ever imagine getting rid of them.

I'm curious as you've actually been able to listen to the AMG, what is it about the AMGs sound that you prefer over that of your LP12?
No-regrets, first off I don't blame you for hanging on to the Dunlavys, I used to spend a lot of time listening at the dealers showroom. A sad day indeed when they closed their doors. My LP12 vs. the V12, first off I think the delicate nature of the Lyra house sound is more freely expressed. The vocals seemed to be more accurate in timbre, akin to a live acoustic natural sound. We listened to Patricia Barber, Dusty Springfield and Chris Issac mostly, and when I came home and played the same albums, I realized that the information had less depth than at the store. I do feel the bass is pretty much on par between the two, with the exception of the speakers capability to deliver. But the overall nature in sound of the V12, to me seemed to let me relax my ears more when listening for certain passages than I get with my table. That said, I must provide weight to the overall system at the dealers vs. mine. Speakers, phono stage, Atlas vs. Kleos, but I still contend the overall "audio picture" of the V12 defined the ceiling of limitations of my LP12 unless I tweak mine at great expense, or choose to invest in the future a vinyl playback. The other notes I want to add is I think the AMG bearing design is a major contributor but would raise concern on isolation. I believe it would be a crucial ingredient in obtaining the maximum performance. Also I think the 12" arm vs. the Ekos adds to the ease of tracking allowing the cartridge to more freely track the groove. All personal opinion of course.