Should Sound Quality of Computer Audio be improved

Unable to respond to, "Mach2Music and Amarra: Huge Disappointment"- Thread. Other Members take free pop-shots!
Apparently some have more Freedom Of Speech than others! I
don't know how many times I have said it, I want Computer
Audio to succeed! It will only succeed if Computers are designed from the ground up to reproduce Music (Same minimum standard applied for Equipment of ALL Audio Formats)! This is common sense Audio Engineering Design. Bandaid Modifications cannot be substituted for absence in design to produce Music! Design it right to EARN the right to become a New Audio Format- same as all other Audio Formats! No Freebee's, No Cutting Corners! Lack of design is what's causing such varied results in S.Q. between
listeners of Computer Audio. I see about 50% negative
responses here on these Threads. It will continue to happen unless you fix it! Blaming me won't help! I am an
Engineer, and I can read results! 50/50 success/ failure
rate- you have an inherit Engineering Design Flaw for the
reproduction of Music via Computers! Shock! Suprise- since
they were never designed for Music! So when is someone finally going to properly design the Equipment/Computer
(From the ground up) for Computer Audio? Do we continue
to treat any real criticism as "HERESY" in the lack of
design in Computer Audio for Music? You tell me what I am
allowed to talk about, and we will both know!
pettyofficer
My take on computer audio is that it is another source to compete with silver disc spinners and vinyl. I listen to classical music and am currently most interested in High resolution recordings, although i've got several thousand "red book" cds. Classical music lovers seeking high res are spoiled for choice because there are several thousand sacd classical recordings available. I wish that every red book recording would be remastered in at least 24 bit DSD but realize that these will be few and far between. I have noticed that fewer new sacds are coming out with the rise of downloads, and realize that sacds may disappear from this niche one day. Blu rays are becoming more frequent but are far from prevalent.
I have dabbled in downloads. They sound impressive but I don't like them because they, and the playback equipment, are buggy. I spend enough time at work dealing with unwanted IT issues and have no wish to spend my free time similarly engaged. More computer savvy than myself are undeterred by these issues.
Petty's complaints about computer audio are more relevant if silver discs and vinyl should exit the marketplace and leave computer audio as the only way to sample high resolution recordings. For the moment, however, at least in my corner of the listening world, this is not the case. I say Long Live Physical Media! and I am glad that I do not have to rely on the computer as my only source of high res listening. If the situation changes, and computer audio becomes the only high res show in town, then I do believe that it is incumbent upon the industry to make their products more user friendly.
If it were only from my mouth to Silicon Valley's ear...

Gosh, so many points of agreement, I’m not even sure where to begin.

First, THIS is definitely going to replace everything else. THIS. Right here. Agreed. THIS.

All other Audio Formats ARE. They just ARE. There’s no point in arguing about it. Yes.

I long to pay more – forget compromised Audio Formats – for everything. Love. It. Other specifically designed Audio Formats are for chumps.

Yes. Computer Manufacturers have me right in the sweet spot. I’m their bitch, no doubt. And I beg for lower resolution every day. I long for it. Can’t get low enough. In fact, I will not rest until everything sounds like a vibrating piece of twine punched through the bottom of a tin can. Remember that? Sounds like sweetness, mommy, home and victory. Back when we were strong and proud. I yearn. Sometimes it hurts a little, but I try to be brave.

The future is undeniably lower than lower than CD MP3. Not 100% sure what that is, but I feel it’s rightness in my bones, among other places. And, again, at higher cost. Imagine, the two things I yearn for most, at the same time! What could be better? Yea!

As for the things I hate, correct again. I feel like you know me. I hate getting my money’s worth – again, in S.Q. or anything else. Not too fussy on that front, really, hate value wherever it may raise its leprous, misbegotten, vile, elitist head. All of it. I’m a real generous hater like that. Value = a deep, burning hatred. And not just that sneaky, warm hatred that runs down your leg and pools in your shoe like when you’ve gotten too excited and had an accident, but I mean like full on, you know, hate. Hate it. In fact, the only thing I hate more than value for money, is having money at all. Man, what could be worse than that? Amen.
Pettyofficer - those of us who frequent this forum - and I mean frequent it with true interest and not general bitterness in no particular direction - actually do feel like we're getting our money's worth with computer audio. I doubt any of us downloads many MP3s for use in our home stereos. Most of us either rip CDs or download CD-quality or high res audio from sites like HDTracks. We'd all love to see more high quality downloads available - the only way this happens is if more and more adopt this "new format" which isn't really a new format as I explained to you in another thread.

I'm sorry but you're just not living in the real world. You can dream and dream about some magical "new format" which is released in a state of perfection with every recording ever made in history immediately available. Dream your dreams and wait around for such a magical format. You'll be waiting a long time...and we don't really care. We'll be too busy enjoying our music.
O-kay Mezmo, chill out. You have made your point. I was only being sarcastic. I am only going to say that if you
are serious about making Computer Audio the Audio Format to
replace all other Audio Formats- you have to design it for
that purpose. You, and Microsoft, and Apple, and Macintosh,
and ASUS, and every Computer Modifying Audio Manufacturer
out there. We are not just talking about Ripping for a
Music Server, we are talking about Internet Downloading- and you are going to design around these guy's or even rely
on them for the next Audio Format to replace all other
Audio Formats? These guy's who don't seem to give a crap
about your New Audio Format? Isn't it obvious that these guy's are gonna drag your New Format down? These guy's
whose greatest contribution to Computer Audio was lower than CD quality MP3 (Big money maker for them for sure!).
They don't seem to think much about your New Format to replace all others. I am not stopping you- they are! I
sure as hell wouldn't toss out all other Audio Formats
having to rely on these guy's. Why would anyone? I listen
to Computer Audio inspite of these guy's, knowing fully
well that they have painted a target on the back of this
Format. Why help them, or enable them to pull the trigger?
What a strange way to start a New Format, or slowly let it
bleed out. I am only trying to give fair warning to help
save it. Your New Format only threatens the profits of their lower than CD quality MP3 Empire. You wanted competition, guess you have it now! Do you still think that they are your friends? Profit is their only friend,
and you simply aren't profitable for them. Neither is a
High Rez. Downloading Format- watch out for stray bullets!
Now will you help try to defend it against these guy's, go
down standing or go down on your knees begging? I am not much for begging, how about you Sonzu? Heard you were
tougher! Are you really serious enough to make a go of
this New Format? Prove it by dealing with Computer Manufacturer's! If you are anything like the other geeks
on this Forum, I don't think you have the guts to make it
work! Prove me wrong, I would still like to use this Format! Seems to me that we are going to have to earn it-
certainly NOT going to be created in a vacuum.

"so you Download Music Files without Anti-Virus protection? "

Like Timlub, I do not have anti-virus on my player PC. So, I simply download files using a PC that does have virus protection then move the files across my network to the appropriate location. Not really that hard. Of course, most of my music is from my own CDs, so anti-virus software is not an issue. The idea, as Elizabeth and Timlub have said, is to minimize unnecessary software running on the system. It can make a big difference.