Great, Physically Unobtrusive High-end Speakers?

I'm considering replacing my 44" tall floor-standing boxes with something much less obtrusive, even if I go to monitors and a sub, in a medium-size living room with open floor plan. Don't care about loud rock and roll but I listen to just about everything else.

I'd love to get some recommendations from you guys and gals. Thanks!
ps
Since one side wall is compromised, I would suspect that a speaker with a controlled dispersion pattern would be beneficial.
look at speakers that send the soundwave right to you, they will take your l size room out of the picture .
I would go with two Dunlavy SC-1s (used market) and an SVS sealed sub. The Dunlavys are designed to take the room pretty much out of the equation and the sealed SVS subs are really tight and fast. With the right 'everything else', a little system like this would humble many systems costing several times the amount.
Ps,
You'll get lots of responses on this post but for my money, check out the Sonus Faber line of stand-mounted loudspeakers. I own a vintage pair of SF Electa Amators (with the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter) and I have never regretted buying them new back in the 1990s. They have several new models to choose from. Of course, you buy them for the sound but the gorgeous look of SF speakers is a bonus that you can happily live with for many years. Don't be afraid to buy used here on Audiogon. For your $5K, you won't be disappointed!