Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
Differences in cables is huge these days. What I do is many many blind tetst. Only wenn you do it this way people understand how big the influence is. What I said earlier: I give many blindtests with expensive amp/spource with cheap powercable or interconnect. And cheap amp/source with expensive powercable/interconnect. In most of the test people choose for the cheaper amp/source with more expensive cables. The thing is; use the right cables. There are many cables for sale who are not that great.
I have a hard time in believing that there are many "bad" cables. I think with brands like Cardas, Pink Faun, Kimber and Nordost you cannot really chose a bad cable. But I am open for suggestions. I am more or less looking for new speaker cables I live in the Netherlands.
Mordante - have you looked at Van Den Hul? - I think they are local to you :-)

I've used three of their Speaker cables and have been very happy - Currently using their 10 gauge D352 Hybrid cables with my Naim 50 Watt integrated amp - cost around $250 for 10ft pair in Canada

I have always used their bulk cable and put my own termination on them.

You can always step up to their Carbon Fibre - supposed to be completely transparent - bit pricey though
Vdhul? Are you kidding me. I am from Holland and I sold it for many years. I also did test them. There are enough better brands. VdHul is a very nice and funny person. There was a big audio show every year. Then he was waiting for me and wanted to look around with me togheter. We did this a couple of years. He is even graduated in colours at the university.