300b vs 845

I own a nice 300b amp but would like to know what I might gain/loose going to a 845 tube. I know I will get more watts and therefore more volume or dynamics, but that's really all I know. I have only heard one 845 amp, a ASL Lalya, its sound pretty good, but a little grainy.
Your thoughts would be a big help.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
Assuming the amps are of similar quality you will have more power with the 845. All things being equal expect the 845 to be more expensive simply due to the larger chassis and transformers required. The more power you get the more heat the amp will generate; be warned if you live in a hot area and do not have AC.

The ASL stuff is mid fi and average parts and transformers are used. You want to look at quality 300b/845 amps look at Art Audio, Border Patrol, DeHavilland, or custom. You get what you pay for is always true.
Brm1, I would suggest that you contact a manufacturer that makes both 300B and 845 SET amp models and get his/her opinion on where the differences lay. One such person would be Joe Fratus in the USA and owner of Art Audio who makes several 845 models and at least one 300B model too.

The 845 is a bright shining tube, like a 100 watt lightbulb, and runs very hot so these characteristics may be off putting to some. By comparison the 300B is much less bright and hot but both tubes are usually run in pure Class A so expect some heat. Also, the 845 tube is an old radio re/transmisson tube so it doesn't have the frequency range/extension that other tubes have and that is why Gordon the owner of the well respected company Wavelength won't design using the 845 tube, or at least that is what he told me.

Another tube you may want to explore is the great KR Audio PX25 tube that is amazing. Ask Joe at Art Audio about it.
Hope this helps some.
Kevin
At the risk of generalizing, the 300B can have better frequency range and a more "transparent" midrange. The 845 will outclass the 300B in bass fullness, although in some 845 amp designs, the bass is bloomy and bloated. The 845 was never designed as a wide audioband tube.

In my personal opinion, if you don't need the power, I'd go with the 300B (or 2A3 or 45 even). If you need the power, I would also consider the 211 triode versus the 845.