Looking For Single Source Tube Preamp

My system is currently a modified Denon 5910 as my only source, a passive Luminous Axiom as my preamp (volume control), B&K Sonata M200 mono amps, and Silverline Sonata 2 Speakers. I enjoy the sound of this set up; however some of the discs I listen to come out sounding a little harsh. I intend on keeping this a single source system. I have never had a tube anywhere in my system. I was thinking of trying a single source tube preamp to possibly smooth things out a little. I have read some threads, but I can't find much on single source tube preamps. Is there anyone out there with a similar set-up to mine that can offer suggestions?

I am aware of the Decware Zsla-1 preamp; however I have not heard it or seen much about it on Audiogon.
kevine
I'm also in agreement with Nsgarch. Cables or room treatments might be the ticket.

Good luck,
Kevin, check out this thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1140553317&read&3&zzlCurriemt11&&

It's a report of a CDP shootout that includes a modified Denon 5910. Their main criticism was some "graininess".
Imagine!

I use the Paul Speltz Ant-Cables to my Speakers, which are solid core speaker wires. I have VeraStarr silver reference interconnects. My Denon player has the ALP clock in it with other modifications done by Hot Rod Audio (VeraStarr). I ended up with this player because my wife and I watch a lot of movies, and Denon has excellent video. It was a tradeoff. She wanted the Denon. I told her that the only way I would get the Denon was if it was Modded. As stated earlier, I do enjoy the sound of my system. Maybe when I said it sounded a little harsh, I might have meant there was glare or brightness to the sound on some discs. I just thought that a tube would smooth out the sound some. The Silverline speakers are very revealing and I had heard that they work very well with a tube setup.
Kevin,

Since your Sonatas are so efficient, why don't you just opt for a tube integrated with around 40 watts/channel or so? The Eastern Elecric E-520 and VTL IT-85 come to mind as contenders. I think you will realize the sound you are seeking better with this option than pairing the B&K amps with a tube pre. I have owned their amps in the past, and while not bad for the $$, I think the newer tube integrateds offer better sonics, especially since you don't need much power to make the Silverlines come to life.

Oz
I like your tube preamp idea...I switched from a Bent Audio passive volume control to a tubed preamp a couple years ago...I'm very happy with the smoothness tubes can bring into a system...I have extra pairs of tubes for a quick flavor change at any time.

Some cd's are bright...fact of life...your room could also be a little on the bright side, easy to figure that one out.

I'll have disagree with the others...cables can not add brightness and should never be used as tone controls in your system.

As I stated above...the number of inputs on the preamp are not important, a wider choice of preamps is. Do some searches at Audiogon and Audioasylum forums for a good used tubed preamp in your budget and flavor...I did and struck gold!

BTW, OZ has a great idea...I just went to tube amps myself, the Krell sits in the corner with nothing to do...poor thing!