High end amp - my last step

I would like some opinions on buying an amp.

I have some unusual constraints, but a pretty healthy budget.

The constraints:

1) I'm in the UK - 230/240 volts must be available - even if a second hand model has to be sent back to the manufacturer.

2) The amp / amps must live in a space in a well ventilated cabinet, open back and full grill to front plus much ventilation above and below. Space is about 24 inches wide, 30 inches deep and 14 inches high for a mono. Height can be doubled for a stereo amp, e.g. a VTL s-400 will fit but Seigfried Monos will not. Heat should *not* been seen as much of an issue, size should - eg a Krell MRA would drop straight through the floor into the utility room.

3) Power should be enough for a dynamic sound in my 89dB efficient Sophias, but just enough is good enough as these will probably be replaced in the future.

4) Aggravation free, long warranties are good and local dealer support good too - so would demonstrations.

I don't mind tubes, solid state or hybrids. I mostly listen to jazz, indie and pop - actually anything apart from opera.

The budget:

$30,000 - I will consider second hand and I will consider cheaper if I can find it :o)

My own suggestions:

VTL s-400 or 450 monos. (UK distributor - DCS - is less than 5 miles away and will be able to demo at home during April)
Lamm 1.2 ref (No representation in uk :-( )
Audio Research 600's
Dartzeel - (My Wilson dealer carries them, and they look like they won't break, I should get a demo)
Other ideas MBL, Boulder, CAT

I'm not in a rush, probably want to buy in June, but I want to sort out some listening sessions. I *do not* intend to ever buy another amp, so it should be good for (or servicable) for next 20 years!
dmurfet
I just recieved a Pass X350.5.
Minutes after...
Out of the box, brand new, WOW!!!
I've had Amps that are rated high power, but with the Pass Amps you can feel the effortless power.
Deep soundstage and vocals that are so natural. The bass sounds exellent, clean and defined and the treble is great !.
Everything sounds so right !
And this is again right out of the box !!!
Thanks for the responses again.

Cyctocycle - I didn't realise the Lamm's were not fully balanced. I can output all balanced or unbalanced in 7.1 if need be (I have the all the cards too!) but single ended has proven to be susceptible to hum in the past - this might be the case with the Lamm, but it was with my Krell.

I'll look into the Thetas - but think if thst was my route, I'd be better off as earlier suggested with DSP 8000's.
If you're looking for an amp w/ balanced circuitry all the way through, have a look at Balanced Audio Technology (BAT)
Dmurfet: I ran balanced cables to the Lamm but it was a waste, if you read his litature he doesn't believe balanced is required. I tried using a CJ pre single ended and ended up with a ground hum, but with the balanced cables and my Rowland or placette active there was no groundhum (was run single ended) they were grounded pretty good.

I've heard the high end Meridian's and make sure you can go get a listen as I thought they were amazingly dynamic (incredible for movies) but left me a little sterile and missing emotion.
Hi Dmurfet:
I too use the Meridian 861 with WP 5.1(the WP7.1 coming late spring) drive by Lamm 1.1s.
I do agree with Cytocycle on the Lamm but I had the VTL S400 in my system before with Ayre K1 and I like the sound with Meridian 861 and Lamm much better. Maybe the WP 5.1 is brighter then the WP 7.1. But I just got the MBL 9010C and it put the system into the next level, given all the missing lower bass and the extended high. Yes, the Lamm is the fully balanced but I used the balanced out from the 861 anyway. You can try a pair MBL 9008 or 9011 if you need power but I think a pair of 9008 is already overkill for Sophia. BTW, I don't care about hte DSP8000. I had them in my system in NY for sometime. Let us know how you end up with. Stephen