Wood blocks underneath components?? snake oil?

Hi, I have read that putting some sort of woood blocks underneath components helps in the sound. In particular, I believe Ayre actually suggests doing this. Can anyone explain to me how this helps?
128x128tboooe
Not snake oil.

There are three materials people use: woods, stones and synthetics. What I have learned is that I like wood - mostly myrtle but lets not overlook ebony and maple. I find that metal cones, blocks etc that sound gawd awful when placed on stone (so component, device, base) sound just dandy when placed on wood platforms.

The most cost effective tweak I use are a set of three myrtle wood blocks between an amp and my rack shelf which is basically some kind of stone.

Stone in my (limited) experience is a fine damper - great for mass loading from the top.

Synthetics are all over the place - there are so many kinds. Generally whether they be Polys, Vibrapods, or Isonodes they work to either stone or wood though IMHO they sound better touching wood.

YMMV
Ummm, wood resonates, right? Isn't that why they use the stuff for oboes, violins, guitars, mandolins, drum shells, etc? If your equipment is resonating that badly, wouldn't a purpose built dampening material be much more effective?
Hmmmmm, wood resonates but everything resonates at some frequency.

Do a little searching and you will see that this topic (drain it? damp it?) has been debated endlessly.
Please don't mislead people by telling them you hear audible differences, it's just snake oil. I'm not even going to entertain an arguement here, there is no way any of you could pass a blind listening test. If it makes you feel better go ahead and do it, you might convince yourself something changed through the power of suggestion, but saying otherwise is just wrong.
Well there you are. The matter is finally settled.

I guess all of you who thought you heard a difference are feeling pretty silly right about now.