Does "Fast" = "Detailed"?

I've noticed a few people discussing "fast" as an adjective for systems and components. A couple friends of mine use fast as an adjective they look for in amps and speakers (and other components including wire). I've noticed in my limited experience that those who like fast systems also tend to own/favor highly detailed systems. Recently, I looked at a member's system, which includes speakers built with ribbon tweeters used in conjunction with NuForce amps. He mentions liking a fast sounding system. Having heard both ribbon speakers and NuForce amps, I have an idea that this system is quite detailed.

Does "fast" equate to "detailed"?
tvad
I don't know about audio gear (like everyone on these forums isn't aware of that one by now) but I once had a girl friend that was "detailed" , if you know what I mean.
Grant,

I used to equate the two terms but these days not necessarily so. I think there's a lot of crossover factors.

When generalizing about cables I think these terms might hit closer to the mark, especially when comparing silver and copper interconnects from the same manufacturer. In this instance, a "house sound" usually prevails and the only difference is that the silver cable sounds more detailed AND faster.

However, a complete system including all components, speakers and cables no matter how detailed in treble and midrange, can get bogged down by muddy bass and therefore sound slow.

Also, I believe a system with good PRaT will sound fast. But a system can have really good PRaT [pace, rhythm and timing] and still lack some detail.

A system that has a lean balance can sound fast and detailed because it has no bloat in the lower midrange or upper/mid bass to make it sound like it's running through a swamp.

But a system that is overly articulate can also sound slow becasue the pace and rhythm become hampered by the extra detail, thus making the system lean and detailed, but not as fast as it could be.

Does this make any sense or does it just add to the confusion?

Dean
Does this make any sense or does it just add to the confusion?

Dean
Gunbei (System | Threads | Answers)
I'm still trying to get a handle on Viridian's description of his detailed girlfriend.