Passive Pre - No Regrets?

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have moved from a high quality active preamp (I'm currently using a CAT SL1 Ulitmate)to a passive preamp and have had no regrets. I'm particularly interested in hearing from those that have switched to a Placette or Sonic Euphoria (the two I'm considering). I'm using a CAT JL2 Amp feeding Merling VSM-MX.
pubul57
"I should have a Bent audio unit with Stevens & Billington TX102 trannies in for a comparison within two weeks."

Now THAT I want to hear about....;-}

Oz
Hello Gmood1!!
Have you tried a resistive passive vs. a TVC in your system lately? I had a hard time but I finally got the match made and the resistors betters the TVC in my system, Im curious about your findings.

All the Best
Hey Oz...yup I'm looking forward too it myself! I've found one owner of the Promitheus TVC that has compared it against a Bent Audio. From his post they sound about the same too him.

I'll see and hear for myself thanks to a nice audiophile friend who has many audio toys. If they do come up fairly equal..the Promitheus will be one of the best bargains in HiFi. For $280 plus $60 shipping it has shamed all the actives or resistive passives I've played with period.

Jsadurni,
The only resistive passive I've compared the Promethius too lately, has been the Noble pot in my integrated. It's not even close. The Noble pot isn't bad by any means. When compared to the TVC. It sounds out of focus and instruments and voices suffer from slight loss of depth and separation. Also the sound doesn't flow into the room as with the TVC.
What TVC have you tried in your system Jsadurni?

Another owner of this unit. Just posted a small review on another site yesterday of the Promitheus against the Luminous Audio passive Axiom noble pot/shunt and a AVI active preamp. Again the little unit came out on top in his system as well. I think the AVI is a $2800 active preamp. So if you only consider cost as premium sound ..you maybe in for a surprise. ;-)

I may try to compare it against a Bryston BP6 in a few days. From memory of hearing the Bryston active last week..it doesn't stand a chance.LOL
Gmood1,
I had a PLC, I heard it for the first couple of days and loved it...certain details were better, so I bought it from a friend, two weeks later I started to notice a lot of things were missing...bass, attack, detail altoghehter, there was probably some impedance problem because it really didnt sound good...we tried it in 3 different systems with similar results, once I noticed the drawbacks I cold hear them all the time in any system.

Anyway, I am glad it is working out for you, enjoy!!!

All the Best
Thanks Jsadurni ,
From what I've read so far..the PLC is slightly different in configuration from a TVC like the K&K, Bent, Django, Music First and so on. I would try a different version before you give up competely.

Good listening