Passive Pre - No Regrets?

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have moved from a high quality active preamp (I'm currently using a CAT SL1 Ulitmate)to a passive preamp and have had no regrets. I'm particularly interested in hearing from those that have switched to a Placette or Sonic Euphoria (the two I'm considering). I'm using a CAT JL2 Amp feeding Merling VSM-MX.
pubul57
A funny story for Atmasphere(and others),

4-5(maybe 3-4) years ago I called Jack Elliano of Electra-Print (of transformers and DRD/Ultrapath amps fame) about winding a transformer volume control for me. At the time, S&B TVC's seemed excessively expensive and I was looking for an affordable US substitute. (I know have S&B)

Jack is a great guy and wealth of knowledge about all things audio, especially transformers. Even better, he loves to talk about the subject just as much for conversation as doing business.

He spent at least a half hour with me outlining all the fundamental engineering reasons why a TVC was inferior to active linestages and why he would never make/sell one even though he had been getting a lot of calls about them. He wasn't being condescending, rude, or defensive about the subject, just the reasons why his 20+ years of experience led him to believe they were a fad and not anything of lasting merit. I aked if he would ever give them a try and he said there was no reason.

Well, low and behold, Jack and Electra-Print now sell a transofrmer based volume control he refers to as a "Passive Volume Attenuator" preamp (bottom of page). His version of the TVC might be slightly different because it was desinged to load the output transistors of your source so they can deliver optimal current. His PVA then converts that current to an equivelent voltage.

Noentheless, I applaud Jack's open mind when it comes to audio and engineering. After intial resistence, he began to seriously look into the subject which has resulted in a 180 degree change in his opinion. So much so, that he is putting his time, money, and company reputation behind it.
Great story Moebis!! He's still just as stubborn about tube amplifiers being the only amplifiers to use!LOL

I planned to try out one his units.I could never get anything setup concrete. He doesn't do the email thing very well. So I bought a unit else where.

I had to laugh at Mr.Sphere's comments about passives not being able to drive the cables... that's a pretty broad statement. With the right source some of these passives(TVCs) will spank an active all day long driving cables. Being he designs and builds active preamps..I'm not surprised at the negativity towards passives. Man.. this jet black background coloration is working for me.;-)

Good listening
Here's another one for you. Intact Audio

A transformer winder from hell. With discussion on how to tune the transformers to your system. Not for the faint of heart but results can be stupendous if you are willing to invest the time and effort to optimize it.
"Great story Moebis!! He's still just as stubborn about tube amplifiers being the only amplifiers to use!LOL"

You mean, it's not true? Actually, I'm a low-power SET guy, but not so much so that I don't appreciate other approaches.

"I had to laugh at Mr.Sphere's comments about passives not being able to drive the cables... that's a pretty broad statement."

I don't have a thimble's worth of his experience or knowledge, and he always seems to make very measured and reasoned statements. So, I'm sure there are very good reasons for what he says.

But, it's hard to tell if his statements are directed at all passive controls or just resistor based. He did not address the situation where a source has low output impedence and high voltage output feeding a high input impedence amplifier with low voltage sensitivity via a TVC.

Going one step further would be an all balanced system via the balanced input and outputs of a TVC. Or, single-ended source being converted to true balanced signal via the TVC transformers to the balanced inputs of an amp.

I have a pair of Jensen JT-11P4-1 (1:1.414) for "Balanced Bridging" Input transformers that I am going to add to the end of long balanced cables for converting back to SE at my amps inputs.

Not as good as a truly all-balanced system, but will allow me to use ~30-40 ft. cables to cross my room to my amps right next to each speaker.
I have had a Placette for over a year now. I will never go active again. I have hi output low impedence sources and sensative hi input impedence amps. This is perfect for a passive linestage. Not everyone has components as well suited for sure. If I connected my source to my amp directly the volume was way too loud. This means my amplified linestage was really an attenuator! Going passive was a real shocking improvement for me. I will also say it is hard to find a phono stage suited for this. Low impedence out is hard to find especially with tubes.I have no opinion on my resistor ladder style unit vs a transformer based unit other than less passive friendly components than mine could benefit from transformered units and their potential 6db gain. They are more likely to color sound than a resistor ladder which could or may not be beneficial. Your results may vary in other words. Good luck! I like the Placettes remote control as well and the fact that a passive doesn't need a power cord(upgrade)since only the control functions use AC power not the signal path.

ET