Newbie needs help

Hi-

I am just beginning to upgrade my system, and have never been at an "audiophile" level (I have various pieces, including an HK surround receiver). I just purchased some used Paradigm Studio 100s for my main system, and will be purchasing new items for a surround system that will go in my basement.

For now, I am planning on putting the HK 5.1 in the basement, but wiring for 7.1. This means I will need somethin get to drive the Studio 100s. I am confused, but think I generally understand that an amp powers the speakers, but you will need a pre-amp to utilize a straight amp, which is why many manufacturers make them in 1 unit. However, I am unclear as to the benefit of breaking these items up.

Also, when it comes to amps, I see reviews for a $1000 amp that seems as good as a $10,000 amp. Frankly, I'm not sure my ears would notice the difference (at least not now). So, I am confused as to what brands to focus on. Names like Krell, Mark Levinson, and Classe, all seem to have loyal followers and high prices. Audiophile never seems to give "bad" reviews, only less positive, and I have not found any other publication that appears to take audio any more seriously.

Sorry for the rambling, but here are my questions: 1. What is the benefit of having a separate amp/preamp over a single system; 2. What is a good name of amp/preamp (or integrated) that is reasonably priced used ($1500 or less +/- total) that could make a difference in the way I hear music? 3. Anyhing else I should know/missed/mis-stated?
blewis1041
I'd say you and Srajan share a common ear, Warren, considering he loved the Druids, you both love the Definitions, he liked the Audio Refinement Complete, and you loved its older cousin, the YBA Integre. That's pretty good commonality, and a thumbs up for either the YBA Integre or Audio Refinement, IMO.
Thanks guys. I am getting more info. both from you and "out there." Some of the prices quoted above I could not substantiate from the ads on this site. Also, I cam across a recommendation for a Korsun V8i (or a Dussun)? I have no idea what that is, but found a website that suggests it is effectively a generic version of Levinson (made in the same plant). Also, I predominately listen to "alternative," rock, pop, and some softer music (mostly my wife) - very little classical. I have the speakers about 1' from the wall, and about 6-7' apart, with the listening area another 6-7' away (due to them being on both sides of my entertainment center and across from my couch).

I have also seen suggestions for anthem amps. I believe they may be made by the same company as the Paradigm, so I am not sure if there is some bias there. Finally, I am planning on using the 100s only for audio, so I do not need an AV amp. Thanks again.

10-24-06: Blewis1041
Some of the prices quoted above I could not substantiate from the ads on this site.
Specifically which ones?

There is an Audio Refinement Complete Integrated for sale now for $515, and an Audio Aero Prima for sale for $1600 and another that recently sold that was listed for $1050. There's a Rega Apollo with a sale pending that is listed at $775, and a PrimaLuna Prologue 2 listed for $975 with a pending sale. Other than the PrimaLune Prologue 2, these are all within the price range mentioned above. Also, considering the pricing is for used gear, they prices will fluctuate according to the market.

Are you open to used, or only to new? Used will provide better bang for your buck.

In retrospect, I think the Audio Refinement Complete is underpowered for your loudspeakers and listening preferences, as is probably the Prologue 2. I'm calling a Mulligan on those amplifier suggestions.

I demoed the Dussun V8i and posted impressions in the threads. It's a great value, has lots of power, and it will really bring your Studio 100s alive. It's definitely worth auditioning in your system with the 30 day MBG.

The amplifiers from Odyssey Audio offer excellent peformance for the price...better (more refined in all respects) than the Dussun IMO, although with the Odyssey equipment you'll need a preamp. Klaus Bunge used to offer a complete Odyssey system with amplifier, preamplifier and loudspeakers for less than $5000. That's a screaming value in this hobby. Klaus is a great guy. He'd be worth contacting.

Your speakers will breathe better, and the bass will be less boomy if you have room to pull you speakers out from the rear wall by a couple more feet.