Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
It would be fun to have several of these top DACs all together for comparison at the same time. I suspect the result would be that the performance of most of these "flagship" DACs would end up more a matter of being "somewhat different but not meaningfully better," although some may mate with certain equipment better.

Listening to the LaScala here today and it may be complemented a bit better through the Atsahs, which seem to have an iron grip on the lower registers. The LaScala has tons of drive and the music is clear, full-toned and as loud as you want it without any sign of strain. Through the SMc DNA-2 LAE, it may display a bit better dimensionality but it is beautiful sounding through both amps and more of the "total package" when played through the Atsahs, because of their grip on the bass. The distributer suggests trying something other than the stock power cord, which I will do later today or tomorrow.

The Hex seems to sound a little better through the SMc amp. I would really like to hear the Bricasti and the ODSE but like 4425 says,
Can't imagine meaningfully better performance,
at least through my system.

I will have the Pavane through here in a few weeks so that should be interesting too.
Matt, the Regen is designed to improve all USB, so most likely. There are owners of VERY high end DAC's that have reported a noticeable and worthwhile improvement when using the Regen. Though the last time I looked Uptone Audio does not have a money back on its web site I believe if you ask Alex he will work something out for you on the Regen.
Attention, Uptone Audio has just announced a Significant Upgrade to the Regen for all future orders and an upgrade for all current owners. This upgrade is a 40-50% increase in performance.

FYI, I have no affiliation of any kind with Uptone Audio.

Just a fellow Audiophile that wants to let other Audiophiles know about a GREAT product.
1 Regen ordered. For $186- shipped who am I to turn down a tweak you guys are raving about. Coming mid June.

FYI - I just switched from Audiovana to JRiver on my Mac Mini. I played with both extensively and I find JRiver more accurate to the original CD source. There was an occasional lack of layering and sibilance with Audiovana that motivated me to try JRiver.
From a technical point of view, what is Regen? ... A re-clocker.... An input transformer.... Other?

G.